Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Changed Transmission Oil – How Much Oil Is To Much

g_man ยท 2011-09-14 18:04

I changed the transmission oil in my Dresser TD7G along with changing the Pressure Filter and cleaning the Scavange Filter. I have just started running this machine and am new to dozers. The manual called for 18.5 gallons of oil. I put in about 16 gallons then checked the stick. It was over full. I guess there is a lot trapped in the torque converter and such. I ran it in neutral about 10 minutes to check for leaks. Afterwards it still read over full on the stick by about half the distance between the add and full mark. I am thinking that is OK but I am not at all sure. Therefore the question. It has a power shift transmission and torque converter if that matters. Do I need to take oil out?? And what is the problem when you have to much oil in the tank?? Thanks.

Replies3
  1. #1Nige2011-09-15 07:07

    Not sure on this machine if you're supposed to check the oil level with the engine at idling speed and the oil warm. Often the case with transmissions.

  2. #2g_man2011-09-15 07:32

    Manual says check oil level with engine running. I didn't find much difference in the level from original check while filling and the check while it was idleing. It is about 3/4" high on the stick running.

  3. #3Nige2011-09-15 11:42

    I only ever use the quantity in the manual as a guideline, I'd work to the indication on the stick if I were you. Often the quantity mentioned in the manual is the full system capacity, not the tank/oil pan. When you simply drain the oil for a fluid & filter change you end up refilling with much less than what the manual states. A little over the top like your is will probably not hurt much, although if it makes you happier I'd drain it down to the Full mark on the stick just in case.