Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

changing 580L belt

Maybeso · 2020-06-16 23:48

I was wanting to know the best way to change the belt that runs everything on the engine of a 580L. Im wanting to know, do you have to pull the hydraulic pump under the radiator? I changed one years ago in a 580B and it seemed like that was what we did, cant remember. Dont have to change it yet, but am just wanting to get prepared for when the time comes. Thankyou

Replies10
  1. #1joe--h2020-06-17 04:04

    I have a Harbor Freight link belt on mine, 10 minute job. Joe H

  2. #2doghead2020-06-17 07:21

    Iirc, there is a drive shaft to the pump. You simply unbolt the drive coupler at the crankshaft and slide it forward(splined) and that will give you the clearance needed to change the belt.

  3. #3doghead2020-06-17 07:22

    Do they make a link belt for serpentine belts?

  4. #4Tags2020-06-17 08:31

    It sounds so simple a monkey could do it!! Until the bolts snap or the coupling is seized to the shaft....don’t take that the wrong way Doghead, I’m being very sarcastic, but I’m 99% sure if it was mine the bolts would snap and it wouldn’t come off the shaft and I would need the machine 20 minutes after I figured all that out…

  5. #5melben2020-06-17 08:51

    There is a first for everything I suppose but I have changed many over my career with Case but I have never had a bolt twist off, I made a short piece of 1/4 in flat iron 1 in wide ground so it will slip down in the coupler and turn against the mount to keep it from turning as I wrench the bolts out, If the coupler is seized soak it up good with PB Blaster and use a air chisel with a blunt punch and put it on the hub and vibrate it good till it slides ahead. to bad I found that out late in life. I also was not aware there was a link belt for serpentines!

  6. #6Tinkerer2020-06-17 09:35

    Very ingenious tool you made, Mel !

  7. #7Coy Lancaster2020-06-17 22:02

    I always put the engine turning tool in the bell housing to keep the engine from turning while I removed the bolts.

  8. #8joe--h2020-06-17 22:54

    Well I guess I screwed up. Didn't know it was a serpentine belt. Mine is just a v-belt on a Perkins. Same joy to change, remove pump to get a new one in. Joe H

  9. #9kith2020-06-18 08:25

    If coupler won't move loosen pump mounting bolts and move it ahead a little. You only need 1/4 inch. Worst that can happen is having to unhook a couple of lines.

  10. #10Maybeso2020-06-18 10:51

    Thank you for everybody's input, very helpful