I picked up a pair of buckets last week, for my 580K. I've never changed the bucket before, and would like to know how easy it is with the Case linkage. I know I just have to pull the one pin, but it seems like its going to be a pain to line up the bucket, the stick, and the linkage to get the pin back through. Any advice? Thanks. John.
I have not changed a 580 bucket . One advice "do not use you finger to check the alignment of linkages. Check your "new" bucket that the spacing , hole size, etc are exactly like the old bucket. Then put the new one in its place. Some folk change bucket frequently. An assistant would be helpful. Can you post some pictures?
Case is the easiest to do, short of a hydraulic coupler. To remove, set it down, work the slack into the main pin, pull the snap ring and washer, then push the pin out. If it is well greased, it will come out easily. If not, you wil need a hammer and a bar. Careful not to mushroom the end of the pin, as this will make it hard to get in and out. Then boom up and curl out to release the short pin in the back from the hook. To hook up, "scoop" the back pin up with the hook, them boom up about 2 feet off the ground, curl out until the bucket hangs where the hole for the main pin is close to being lined up. Sometimes this takes a little gentle shake to get things to fall into place. At this point, you can move the bucket by hand to line it up perfectly. Push the pin in, put the snap ring and washer back on, and you are done. When I ran backhoe, I could change a bucket in under 1 minute, with no helper and no hammer. Just a pair of snap ring pliers After a couple of tries, you will see how easy it is. The first time, an assistant to help direct would make things go better, but do not let them too close. Do the work with the machine. Sorry, no pictures.
I do it all the time with a 580 super k. The only thing I could add to clarify the above is to set the bucket angle just right so bucket is hanging on the small pin and you can wiggle it with no effort by hand, then remove the big pin, before setting bucket down. If it's not real easy, you're doing it wrong. I would post a few pics but some ______ just stole my extra bucket.
I could do it in under a minute on a SuperL with the coupler, wicked easy. The M I run doesnt have a coupler, old school like the E's. Takes me bout 5mins on a good day, 15mins if every one tries to help, so I disapear down the street and change the bucket alone, haha. Cant wait for a new machine with a coupler again. Got spoiled having it.:usa
Good advice. Read that several times before you change the bucket.
I did it yesterday, and it was easy. I assumed when I pulled the main pin, the linkage would hang down, along with the bucket. I didn't realize that the bushings in the end of the stick were long enough to reach into the coupler to secure it. Thanks for the advice.