Someone just give me some ideas here please? I have a 1967 case 530ck backhoe. Last year i had fuel problems and finally solved that. It has a serious knock in the engine and leaks everywhere. HYDRAULIC FLUID MAINLY. I want to start with oil in the radiator! What will cause this. Someone please just list probable causes. I can work on this stuff, just don't know what it is called most of the time. Thanks, Steve.
If it has an trans oil cooler in the radiator it has probably failed! That allows trans oil in cooling sys. and coolant in the trans. Cheapest fix is an external trans cooler. I used a 10 x 11 in (aprox.) mounted lower right. You will have to drain and refill both systems. I wouldn't bother with anything until you fix the knock. If it lets go you loose the block & maybe crank. I have a 188d crank, 3 rods w/pistons & sleeves, a head & injection pump to sell. A friend let his tap/knock go and it came unglued.
I bought the thing like that. With the knock. To fix these things you mention, engine, cooler, etc, what do you think a dealer, or repair shop would charge? Just ball park. Every cylinder leaks, but i know there are kits for that. It is a big backhoe. Maybe too big, but it is old. Steve.
530ck OVERHAUL I would guess a dealer would get $4000+ to rebuild. A piston, sleeve and gasket kit is about $700. If you can live with it just use it or put a $50-70 cooler on it. Does yours have a torque converter and oil lines to the radiator? If not then that's not your problem.
I think so. I will check on that. Again, i can fix things, but i half know what it's called. Thanks man.
oil in the rad could be head gasket failure
would that cause a knocking?
The knock would be my big concern. Coolant in the engine oil will work on the bearings in no time flat. A head gasket or pin hole in the block could introduce oil into coolant and vise versa. With a tear down and rebuild you may find the problem. $4000 is a good ballpark to start in.
wrist pin/broken piston, water in cylinder, rod bearing or main bearing etc.
if you have oil in the coolant that means your loosing it from the engine so if you loose enough it could knock. how does the oil look when you check it? oh and not that its common but it could also be a cracked head.
What colour is the oil in the Radiator????
Converter oil cooler failure was a common problem on the 530 Torque converter equipped units. The full system pressure and flow runs through the cooler in the lower radiator tank type cooler. The lower tank WAS at one time available from Case complete with cooler ready to be soldered in by the radiator shop. Any replacement cooler has too be able to handle several hundred pounds as system pressure was over 200 Lbs. If the oil is clear or reddish as tranny fluid then suspectthe cooler, if blackish diesel then look for engine faults. Mel
If it has an oil cooler mounted on engine, cooler could leak coolant in engine (oil pressure higher than water pressure could put oil in radiator but not other way, maybe). If you are lucky it could be a diesel knock (injector not building enough pressure and releasing early causing knock) but you could have to repair before other damage occers. Need more info like smoke, blowby, moisture at vent, etc. Break fuel lines to check each cylinder for knock.
I just bought case 580. and i also have oil in the rad, tank s for your advise.