Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Changing backhoe controls

Wilson892 · 2019-05-26 07:00

Well I bought a 590 super L and it has the 4 lever control with foot pedals for swing. Would it be possible to switch it to a two lever system similar to my excavator. It’s going to be a challenge to learn to operate this unit since we’re used to operating the ex. Thanks in advance, John

Replies9
  1. #1Bls repair2019-05-26 09:38

    First time I ran a 4 stick case wasn’t bad at all. Not like confusing JD and cat controls. Totally different controls.

  2. #2Tinkerer2019-05-26 10:24

    It has been a long time since I ran a 590 with 2 sticks. If I remember correctly the lever functions were backwards from the Cat controls I was used to. Very difficult for me to get anything done with it. To answer your question, all the 2 stick parts to do the conversion are in the parts book. Gonna be expensive unless you can find the setup in a salvage yard.

  3. #3Canadian_digger2019-05-26 12:56

    Probably easier and cheaper to sell the backhoe and buy one with 2 stick.

  4. #4Wilson8922019-05-26 13:23

    Thanks guys. John

  5. #5Tinkerer2019-05-26 15:54

    Give yourself some time to get used to the pedals. I struggled for a bit also because I to prefer the Cat pattern. It has been a long since I retired and all I have to operate now is an old Case with foot pedals. I actually like them. Working three levers at the same time to keep the bucket level is the only downside, it is quite tedious when making the last pass on a ditch bottom. If the material permits I like to leave a nice smooth bottom.

  6. #6Coy Lancaster2019-05-27 08:13

    Check with your dealer sales person and see if they have an old L series conversion kit they would sell you. I know the dealer I worked for kept some in the warehouse for such an occasion.

  7. #7Tinkerer2019-05-27 08:28

    Coy; perhaps you could pm Wilson your dealers contact info. If not here is a set of them for sale. ---> https://www.brokentractor.com/c/case-backhoe/control-changeover-kit/

  8. #8Coy Lancaster2019-05-27 08:30

    Broken Tractor is a good place, I will check my dealer and then PM Wilson.

  9. #9Wilson8922019-05-27 08:51

    Thanks guys. Waiting for your findings. John