Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Functional Block Diagram of KOMATSU PC1250-8R (KMTPC…) for RCM analysis

alonzo · 2019-05-26 05:37

Hi dear all! I hope you are doing well. I would like to perform an RCM analysis on a Komatsu PC1250-8R. For this, I need a functional block diagram of the machine. I wonder if anyone has a template of komatsu's PC1250-8R functional block diagram or a link which provide that information. If you are familiar with familiar with RCM analysis, advices are welcome. I read somewhere that the functional block diagrams of equipment is not necessary similar to the disposition of the different components, that’s why I am hesitating to follow the classic decomposition of a PC1250-8R to perform that study, and prefer asking for your advices. Regards

Replies6
  1. #1John C.2019-05-26 11:30

    I think you are going to have to explain what RCM analysis and a functional block diagram are. You can find all the manuals on the machine at http://komatsu.servicemanualvault.com I looked up a service manual for that machine the other day and they gave a price for a PDF copy of around $40 US.

  2. #2alonzo2019-05-28 02:41

    Hi ! RCM means “Reliability Centered Maintenance”. It is a process used to determine what must be done to ensure that physical assets continue to do what its users want in its present operating context. It aims to preserve system function. The system is usually made of several components and assets. To explain what a function of a system is, I’ll give you an example extracted from a book: “The function statement should describe what the system does — its functions( (Function (mission) to be performed). For example, a correct function might be "Maintain a flow of 1000 GPM at header 25," but not "provide a 1000 GPM centrifugal Pump for discharge at header 25." Another example would be "maintain lube oil temperature ≤ 110 0 F” This leads us to the functional Block Diagram (FBD), which is a top-level representation of the major interfaces between a selected system and adjacent systems: A functional block diagram is a block diagram. It describes the functions and interrelationships of a system. The functional block diagram can picture: • Functions of a system pictured by blocks. • input and output elements of a block pictured with lines. • the relationships between the functions, and • the functional sequences and paths for matter and or signals[2 In sum, the RCM analysis aims to size the maintenance effort from the consequences of failures (system approach) and not according to the failures themselves (object approach). The result is a preventive maintenance plan that avoids both sub-quality and over-quality in terms of maintenance I hope I'm not mixing things up.

  3. #3John C.2019-05-28 10:42

    You are not mixing things up. But you are making things over complicated. I've seen this type of description from people who claim to be systems analysts and efficiency experts. In short this is for book smart people and not necessarily for those who actually keep things running as cost effectively as possible. In short you are looking for some type of communication that explains how to keep any particular machine operating with only the maintenance necessary to keep it that way. What you need are long term studies of life cycle histories concerning any particular machine and its components. What you are asking for is not something usually published in any type of communications that are available for public discourse. What might be provided here could be the anecdotal experiences of those who had worked on and with this particular piece of equipment. A more direct question might be "does anyone have experience maintaining this machine?" Or "how long could I expect an engine in this machine to last with factory specified maintenance?" Or "what types of failure would I expect to see on the supporting components of this machine?" Does this help?

  4. #4alonzo2019-05-29 10:03

    HI! Thanks alot for your reply. It helps. The machines have 24756; 18716 and 15060 hours functioning. we experienced some loss of power on a machine when excavating which has been solved by calibrating the TVC valve on one pump. The track are loosen some times, and the equipment is not well fixed ( it seems "shaking" when the pelle translate). What type of failure would I expect then on these type of machines ? regards

  5. #5John C.2019-05-29 10:37

    There is only one in my area and I don't have access to it. Those are high hour meter readings and I would guess that most anything could be going wrong with them at this point. I have seen the engines in these machines run up into the twenty thousand hour range but not without having to do some extensive repair work a long the way. They end up leaking coolant and engine oil and may times need the heads gaskets replaced at around half those stated hours. I don't know which hydraulic system is in those machines, CLSS or OLSS. In either case changing the hydraulic fluid and filters on the manufacturer's recommended schedule will make them last a long time. The tracks on the smaller and older machine models used an accumulator for the recoil springs in the track frames. That could be a reason for tracks to come loose. Maintenance is the key to keeping these machines running.

  6. #6Delmer2019-05-29 14:23

    I wonder if this sort of thing was ever done even in the engineering and design stages? HOPEFULLY it is to some extent these days. I even doubt any service manager or dealer ever saw any such thing, for any brand, anywhere in the world, EVER. The two obstacles such an approach will run into. The "don't fix it if it ain't broke" theory. And the fact that after you've taken most components off, on something that size, they get exchanged for a rebuilt, and if you're going to do that proactively, then you're going to be more likely to do a full rebuild. I'm curious what kind of trainee you are that they think you can come up with this sort of info? Even with the service manual, sorting out the function could take a lot of effort.