Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Changing Battery New Holland ls 150 skid steer

ccrider966 ยท 2013-01-16 22:38

I need to change the battery in my NH LS 150 skid steer. I cannot see how to get it out without removing the bottom skid plate. Is that necessary? Can someone tell me their experience in battery replacement? Like what steps are required? It looks like the muffler support rod needs to be removed and the bottom of it is not accessible without the whole bottom skid plate is removed. Is that correct?

Replies8
  1. #1treezandgrass2013-01-17 09:16

    I have a 140 and with the side engine cover removed you can reach it very easily. I thought the 140 an 150 were real similar.

  2. #2ccrider9662013-01-17 14:36

    They must be different. With my side cover removed, there is a rod bracing the muffler that goes across the top of the battery and you can only get to one end of the rod to remove it without taking off the bottom skid pan underneath.

  3. #3treezandgrass2013-01-17 16:00

    Sorry, they must be. I really like my rig. What kind and weight of oil are you using in the hydraulic system. im having trouble finding 10w30 diesel oil. Good luck with the battery.

  4. #4ccrider9662013-01-19 11:50

    I use the 15-40 diesel oil for the engine and never have replaced the hydraulic oil. My unit only has about 300 hours on it and it is a 2002! I like it fine but it is so compact that you cannot get to anything without tilting the cab and that takes a special jack which is terribly expensive. See post below where I am looking for ways to do that without the jack. Also I hate it that you cannot open the hydraulic system to tow the unit. I don't know what you would have to do if it broke down in a bad place! These are my only complaints!

  5. #5durallymax2013-01-21 11:49

    When it breaks down in a bad place you just scoop it up with a bigger skid steer or a loader. See pics below. As for the battery, on all of our LS170s, and the 5575 deere you just lift the boom up (like you do for anything) then remove the side panel, muffler brace, and the additional side piece that the side panel slides into. its one tight SOB but they do come out. Pretty sure 150 is similar but thought they may be smaller frame yet. 10W30 diesel rated oil is not necessarily always needed if you cannot find it. If you send in a virgin sample they can tell you whats all in it and if it will be okay for your engine. Generally the HD gas ones have the correct additives just not enough. However being a compact diesel they don't use up the additives very fast and if you follow NHs 100hr intervals you have nothing to worry about, seriously overkill. 10W30 in the hydro system. Having the cab not be able to tilt easily sucks but the visibility is great, if you look at the new L200s where they made the cab tilt, its an absolute nightmare to work on the engine and you still have to have the boom raised to work on anything under the cab.

  6. #6ccrider9662013-01-23 11:53

    Thanks......The problem in replacing the battery on the LS150 is with the muffler brace. I can remove the top bolt but the bottom seems impossible to get at without removing the belly pan. I do not understand the "additional side piece" you referred to. I don't think mine has one but I will look again for it..................

  7. #7treezandgrass2013-01-23 20:18

    I looked at mine again and it has that brace you are talking about. The difference on mine is the brace runs behind the battery. It dont make sense to put it in front.

  8. #8ccrider9662013-01-23 22:57

    Yes it is behind the battery on mine also but it leans a little over the top of the battery and extends to the muffler. I can easily remove the bolt at the muffler but I cannot see how to get to the bolt at the bottom of the brace without removing the belly pan. It sure looks like the brace needs to be completely removed to remove the battery. The top can only be unbolted and maybe forced to lean back away from the battery but it cannot with out hitting other things in the way. I think the alternator is in the way but I forget.