I recently acquired a 1991 Gehl 4610 skidsteer. The serial/model number decal on the front side of the right-hand lift arm support is missing. Is there any other place on the machine where the serial number can be found? I need to order some parts and the parts manual specifies different parts depending on the serial number of the unit. For what it's worth, when I bought the skidsteer, the engine (42 hp, 4 cylinder Perkins diesel) would not start without ether but seemed to run okay once started. I am aware of the potential hazards of long term use of ether but the price was pretty good so I took a chance. I replaced the glow plugs and some faulty wiring in the glow plug circuit and starting was improved but still not what I would consider normal. Next I performed normal maintenance replacing all fluids and filters. Wow! What a difference! It is now a totally different machine! It starts great and purrs like a kitten. I suspect the fuel filter was partially clogged. There was some rust inside on the top of the old filter so there might have been some water in the fuel also. There doesn't seem to be a sediment bowl to trap water like I have on my old ** 65 Perkins. My fuel storage tank is very clean and the skidsteer is now stored inside so I don't anticipate further water issues. At this point it looks like my gamble might have paid off. (fingers crossed) The next thing I plan to do is to adjust the drive chain tension and drain and replace the oil in the drive sumps on both sides. I also need to adjust the center on the hydraulic controls since she wants to creep a little when I let go. This is all new to me so any advice any of you might have on what to do and look for when I am doing this work is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
No replies yet.