Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Changing boom controls- Komatsu pc228 uslc

Sberrylvt · 2021-12-23 22:13

Hi all, New here and just brought home a 2007 Komatsu pc228uslc. Looking to change boom controls from right hand operation to left hand and stick operation from left hand to right hand. Any advice on this? I saw ad to “buy” the shop manual or hyd control schematic but after searching here, pretty sure most were a scam. Not opposed to having the manual but would love to here from those that are familiar with this! Thanks and looking forward to learning a lot from this group. Sarah *edited to add photo

Replies10
  1. #1LACHAU2021-12-24 03:01
  2. #2LACHAU2021-12-24 03:05

    you can be disassembling then change the hydraulic pilot lines at control levers as below picture.

  3. #3uffex2021-12-24 04:01

    Good day Must be a very popular question on the forum see attached. Kind regards Uffex

  4. #4CM19952021-12-24 10:57

    Welcome to the Forums SB! Have you checked to see if the machine has a pattern changer? All my Cats have them. Not familiar with Kommie's as to where it would be located.

  5. #5John C.2021-12-24 11:55

    Check for a pattern changer behind the right front corner cover where the main control valve is. I don't remember between models but some have doors that can be opened and earlier machines had covers that are bolted on.

  6. #6savman2021-12-24 12:36

    I have a 2006 pc78 and the pattern control valve on mine is underneath the floor of the cab on the front left corner of the cab if you are sitting in the seat. There is a small door on the cab itself right above the tracks on the sheet-metal. Hadn't used my pattern changer since I bought it a few years ago; it was very hard to move the first time a couple of months ago. It's gotten much easier with periodic use. My Cat 321dlcr is in nearly the same spot but it's designed much better and moves like a dream.

  7. #7Sberrylvt2021-12-24 13:01

    Hi and thank you! We are going to look again today. I’m rather new to this world but my pops has been doing it his whole life. We bought this together and he doesn’t see any pattern changer but a couple suggestions here to Re-look at! (My goal is to teach him(Pops) how to use this forum-I think he will really enjoy it!)

  8. #8Sberrylvt2021-12-24 14:18

    I just learned that the pattern changer is optional when it’s built. So we may have been the unlucky ones here.

  9. #9Shimmy12021-12-24 15:10

    Call a Komatsu dealer on Monday, have the serial number. I have never, and I mean that, NEVER seen a machine that didn't have a junction block for the pilot lines where you would change the arrangement to change the pattern. Our old Case 1080B even had it. In the rare case yours doesn't, the easiest place will be the main control itself. You are more than welcome to try and disassemble the entire cab to swap hoses on the joysticks, but that would be utterly ridiculous IMO.

  10. #10Sberrylvt2021-12-24 15:45

    Will do. It was actually a tech at the local(Spokane, WA) Komatsu dealer that stated that. We didn’t have them run a serial number-good point to check again. I’d rather not tear down the controls if not necessary.