Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Changing from rubber tracks to steel tracks

Rebar.b ยท 2016-03-31 09:29

I have a JCB 8080 midi excavator that is currently fitted with rubber tracks. Can anyone tell me if I can put on steel tracks without having to change the rollers, sprockets and idlers?

Replies6
  1. #1BuMach2016-03-31 15:31

    i know its just not a swap-over. Usely the bottomrollers are softer on a rubber track then the onces on a steel track, and the idler wheel is not as wide as you need for the steel tracks. if you have a short pitch rubber track you'll need a different sprocket too. I'm working tomorrow at a track specialist, i'm gonna ask it an engineer over there if i see one. cause i dont know for sure if your tensioner will be heavy enough too. so all with al it's not just swapping around. But i know you can rebuild them so suite a steel track, but thats not really what you where asking in the first place..

  2. #2AntonioRocha2016-03-31 18:00

    I have a Kubota KX080, and only changed the tracks, bottom rollers, upper rollers, sprokets, idlers, everything is the same.

  3. #3Rebar.b2016-03-31 20:16

    Thanks BuMach...let me know what the engineer says about it. Make sure you mention that it is a JCB 8080

  4. #4Rebar.b2016-03-31 20:20

    I was hoping to get away with just changing the tracks

  5. #5BuMach2016-04-01 12:13

    Hello Rebar, You probely need to swap it all. The engineer didnt knew for sure if a jcb has a wide enough trackframe to fit the rollers for a steeltrack. So its not gonna we a quick swap..

  6. #6Rebar.b2016-04-01 20:09

    Ok thanks