I want to change the hydraulic oil in my case 580l. It says in the book the system holds 30 gallons but the resiovoir only holds about 15. I can empty the resovoir and change the filter, but is that enough or how should I get more out?
Unless you plan on removing every hose and opening up every component to drain it that's about the best you'll get.
The procedure is on page 8003-7 and beyond in the service manual. Draining the reservoir only is a waste of good oil because the oil in the cylinders and lines will contaminate it as soon as you start the tractor.
I get your comment.... but would ask (first the background) I've got a JCB 1550b. Had a hose leak from the pump, Replaced hose and ended up draining tank to put new fluid in (not done yet). I'm waiting on a new screener that goes inside the tank.... then I put back together and start adding oil in. Tank is essentially bone dry because I cleaned out as much as I could through the access panel on both sides. If I have oil in the tank, I get there will be oil in the lines BUT.... I'm looking to remove (one at a time) a line on say, the backhoe boom.... fill it (with new oil) BUT, the oil already in there would be coming out of the hose I removed and dumped/pumped into a bucket for disposal. Also, since most of the cylinders are at full extension or full retraction, as I operate it from say (full retraction to full extension) I can get the old oil out of one side.... if I don't mind wasting some new oil, I can then swap open hoses and as cylinder goes opposite direction get rid of the old (plus newly added new) oil... Go through the cylinders and stablizers, seems to me you could put a serious dent in the old fluid, no?? It will never be a clean flush unless there is some machine or you do it another time.... I don't know how great the idea is but this is what I'm looking to do in my feeble attempt to extract as much of the old oil as I can. I know it won't be perfect but, will be much better than before!!
The only thing I would add is do paired cylinders at the same time. Loader lift cylinders, fel bucket cyl's. swing cyl's and backhoe boom if it has 2 cyl's. The hydraulic pump may need to be primed depending on how much oil is drained prior to putting new oil in. I know nothing about JCB's. so the priming suggestion is a warning.
Heh, (literally) made me chuckle.... I replaced hose going from pump to machine so it's empty. drained hydraulic tank so it too, is empty. This thing is about as dry as a slathered up (with bbq sauce) rack of ribs. NOT "bone dry" but essentially empty. I won't be able to do anything with it until I fill it up with oil so the intent is going to be fill it with oil (fully) and at least get it running. As it's idling, there might be oil going through the system BUT the cylinders themselves are just sitting there. That is when I'll exercise each given cylinder to expel out as much of the old fluid as I can. I suppose if I wanted to pay the cost, I could do this..... drain it again... but I have to believe this is going to work but not be over-kill. (I can only tinker on this on weekends AND it has to be decent weather as I'm not going to do it in rain, snow, 110 degrees.... or 4 degrees.... kinda has to be just right.)
You could see if you could rent a filter cart. Then you could at least filter the mixed old and new oil.