I am doing an in-frame on my 78 john deere 410. Does the oil pump have to be removed to access the front main bearing? I'm new to rebuilding an engine. Thanks, Blake
I would be replacing the oil pump, or at the very least, opening it up for inspection. I usually just replace them, though.
OK, thanks for the advice. My concern is that I wont be able to properly install the pump with regards to timing since I will be moving the crank around when installing main bearings. The service manual says a special tool is required. any tips on this? Thanks
Has anyone had bad luck with aftermarket oil pumps? This one seems reasonably priced but I don't want inferior quality on something as important as oil pump. https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/John-Deere-410_Oil-Pump_RE35685.html
Yes the pump needs to be removed to do the #1 main. The gear will be a little tough to remove because the shaft/gear interface is a tapered connection that can hold pretty tight. As for timing, when assembling make sure the balancer shaft that runs off the oil pump has the weight straight down (matching the other balancer) when #1 piston is at TDC.
Thanks for the help, I'm getting it all put back together with the new oil pump from yesterday tractors I linked above. Problem is, the pressure port on the cast pump cap is angled downwards unlike the stock pump. This makes the steel elbow tube no longer fit correctly. I decided to utilize the new cast pump housing portion and re-use the old stock cast cap. They are nearly exactly the same except the incorrect port I already mentioned. Will this be fine? Thanks
One other thing, the manual says to stake the nut on the gear shaft but I don't have the space to do it because the engine is still in the backhoe and the timing cover still on. Will red locktite suffice here?
That would be fine provided there is no wear from the old pump gears etched into the original end cap. Yes, that is what I do.
Thanks mg2361! I appreciate your help