Hello Gents, I'm looking to change the engine oil on the CAT 941B I have and have some basic questions. I'm assuming I'll have to drop the belly pan to drain the oil. What type/weight oil should I be using? Once I change the oil is there anything I need to do before start-up.
Unless someone with 941B experience can say otherwise I would have thought that there ought to be some sort of access hatch in the belly guard through which you can get at the oil pan drain plug without removing the complete guard. Certainly the manual shows a hatch. It appears that most people running these engine prefer a monograde oil to the latest multigrades. I'll let them chime in on that.
Quick look at SIS without exact S/N it does look like there is an access hole in the belly pan, guessing a small cover about 4-5 inch around with a bolt in the center? Then you should be able to reach the drain plug on oil pan. Believe this is a 3304 so personally I would have no problem with a good 15W-40 oil but if you are only running in warmer weather a straight 30 weight would be fine too.
Thanks Guys. The S/N for the machine is 80H6907. I do recall seeing section of the belly pan near the center that might be a hatch (hopefully). I run the machine pretty much year-round so I'll take the suggestion on a 15W-40. Can I use one of the name-brand oils from the local auto parts store for cars/trucks or is there a specific oil for diesel engines I should be looking for.
Yes, there is Diesel oil. I would recommend you use a good quality name brand one.
I would second that recommendation, simply for your own peace of mind. An oil for diesel engine service should be marked "meets API CH-4 specification" or similar on the container. The latest specification is CJ-4. In the case of oil suitable for a gas engine the letter C changes to an S.