Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Changing out the loaders power shift fluid which type should I use to replace the old fluid

lake side bob · 2019-04-18 19:01

Noticed CAT has come out with a new power shift transmission fluid called SATO Special Application Transmission Oil. I have a CAT 910E loader and plan on changing the fluid in the powershift transmission. 910E Serial # X15F00179 Any one know if this new SATO oil will work in this machine? If I use it what could go wrong? My other option is the TDTO TMS oil. temp range ambient temp SATO is -4 to +95F TDTO TMS +5 to +110F TDTO Cold Weather -40 to +50 F in the winter I use it a dozen times; what ever type of oil (CAT brand) is in the machine now it take the machine like 1/2 hour to warm it up so the machine will move. I want to get way from that, it can not be good for the transmission. I also want to use the same power shift fluid all year long. During the summer I usually operate the loader for 7 mins every 20 minutes or 7 mins each hour; it depends on how long the dump truck is on the road making delivery. Summer temps are 70 to middle 80 degree F. The TDTO Cold Weather looks interesting I just do not know what effect operating the loader in 70 to 80 degree F temp would do to the transmission(possible damage). Any one have input???

Replies13
  1. #1Shimmy12019-04-20 00:23

    What does the manual spec?

  2. #2lake side bob2019-04-20 07:49

    I have the books. My question is the upper limit of 50 degrees F and if used in summer what could be the damages if any to the power shift transmission. I want to use the fluid year round and not change it out each season.

  3. #3Nige2019-04-20 08:02

    Bob, you mentioned in your OP how frequently the loader gets used in summerr. For how long does it get used in winter..? Don't get freaked about the Ambient Temperature Ranges (they're not Limits BTW), they are only recommendations , not hard & fast numbers. What did your Cat Dealer quote you price-wise for SATO and TDTO-TMS..? Also what price can you get oil to TO-4 SAE10W & TO-4 SAE30..? Doesn't have to be Cat oil.

  4. #4lake side bob2019-04-20 14:35

    In the winter I use it about a dozen times. The temperature is ranges from +20 F to -30 F. most well below 0 F about two to three hours out side on average each time. It is stored into a garage unheated. Transmission Fluid I only use CAT fluids in my machines, may not make any logic but that's my comfort zone. Contacted my CAT store for pricing in 5 gallon pails Part # Type Cost Temp Range Fahrenheit 4270401 SATO $129.98 -0 to +122 special application transmission oil 1540195 TDTO-TMS $118.66 +5 to +122 F 8T9568 TDTO 10W $95.94 -4 to +50 F 8T9572 TDTO 30 $95.94 +32 to +95 F 4739158 TDTO 0W20 $115.58 -40 to +50 F cold weather 0W20 8T9576 TDTO 50 $95.94 +50 to +122 F The TDTO 0W20 cold weather fluid looks really interesting for its temp range. There must be a rational reason for the +50 upper limit temp. range The 30W and 50W fluid just will not work in the winter when its below 0 in the garage. Not much difference between the SATO and TDTO-TMS fluids only 5 degrees on low end. Wonder if the new SATO fluid would work in the 910E Serial # X15F00179 machine The loader takes 6.0 gallons of fluid at change out.

  5. #5Shimmy12019-04-20 15:28

    I'd put the TDTO 10w and not give it a second thought. It will be just fine at -20, and you are not running it long enough during the summer to even get the oil up to operating temp. JMO, others might disagree.

  6. #6Nige2019-04-20 16:59

    I was going to say exactly the same thing. As per my post #4 above the temperature ranges for various viscosity oils are only recommendations, not hard & fast limits. Obviously with the machine being stored in an unheated building and being little used in winter what's needed is an oil that flows at low ambient temperatures right from the get-go. IMHO you're not using the loader anywhere near enough in summer for 10W to be out of its depth. Running the machine for a few minutes every hour is hardly enough to even get the power train heat-soaked, let alone overheat the oil.

  7. #7Nige2019-04-20 17:14

    And if the above answer still leaves you with doubts............. A number of the major oil companies produce 0W30 power train oils that meet Cat TO-4 standards. One of them is Mobil who used to make all the Cat oils (I don't know if they still do). Their Mobiltrans AST 30 meets Cat TO-4 spec and is good for an ambient temperature range of -35C to +35C. I understand your posistion of wanting to use Cat lubricants but remember that Cat doesn't produce them, and I'd class a product from any of the major oil companies equally as good as one with CAT on the container, but that's just my 2c.

  8. #8lake side bob2019-04-20 18:30

    Nige: Thank you for your input it is highly regarded. Bob

  9. #9kshansen2019-04-20 19:16

    Late getting to this thread but one more here to say for that infrequent and short use in summer I would go with the 10W oil year round. The spec's for oil Cat gives might be important for a machine running 10 hours a day steady working in those higher temps. but just using for 7 minutes at a time during an hour is not what Cat would call work!

  10. #10lake side bob2019-04-22 16:16
  11. #11lake side bob2019-04-29 20:22

    The Moblitrans AST 30 is not avilable in the USA in 5 gallon pails only 55 gallon barrels or bulk. I had to go to Canada to get 2 - 5 gallon pails of the AST 30 fluid. Its in the loader. I went with the AST 30 because of its temp range -25F to +95 F. Thank you all for your comments it is greatly appreciated.

  12. #12td25c2019-04-29 21:46

    We would go to the Tractor Supply store in your area & try the Rotella Tractor fluid at $ 57.99 per 5 gallon . https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ersal-hydraulic-fluid-5-gal-pail?cm_vc=-10005 Like my Old boss tolled me when I asked him what oil he wanted in the lawn mower ….. " Put something slick in it ! " LOL !

  13. #13Nige2019-04-30 03:29

    Make sure that you give some feedback on how the loader performs with the 0W30 oil in it, especially when the weather gets cold.