Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Changing petrol by diesel

AERO-X ยท 2015-09-19 07:19

Hello, Can anyone help me, I have a petrol engine JLG scissor lift, I want to know If I it is possible to change the engine by a diesel engine.

Replies9
  1. #1old-iron-habit2015-09-19 08:50

    Sure, Any engine change is possible. The bigger problem is going to get enough air for combustion to keep it running in the Milky Way. LOL

  2. #2AERO-X2015-09-19 08:59

    LOL,Thank you old-iron-habit for your reply, but how can you be sure?

  3. #3lantraxco2015-09-19 12:08

    Lift engines drive a hydraulic pump. Any engine on any fuel will work as long as you can electrically start it, stop it, and control the speed, and those can always be accomplished with relays and solenoids if need be. It's just a matter of fitting a proper size engine, coupling up the pump(s) and getting the wiring straight. YMMV

  4. #4kshansen2015-09-19 12:29

    You could run one off a steam engine if you wanted to! Or electric motor. Heck with enough hamsters and a big enough hamster wheel you could do that too! For a more exact answer would need to know some spec's on the current engine, like horsepower and high rpms. Most things like this machine come with an assortmant of optional power sources so just looking at what the options when new were will give you a good idea of which way to go in the re-power scheme.

  5. #5AERO-X2015-09-19 14:27

    When this can be possible? is there any formula or rule that we must follow?

  6. #6lantraxco2015-09-19 18:36

    Use the same or slightly higher horsepower, preferably at the same rpm as the original. If the replacement engine is slower then your functions will be slower, if you can't live with that you can compensate by changing the pump, or using a gear drive to increase output rpm.

  7. #7kshansen2015-09-19 22:30

    Like Lantraxco says need spec's on current engine. Once you get that the next step will be much easier.

  8. #8Jumbo2015-09-20 00:03

    Talk to JLG, I have only seen diesel engines on their boom lifts 40 foot and larger. If one is available, they will tell you about it and sell one if so desired. If I were to change anything, I would change petrol to Propane, just a carb change, and you can use propane in more locations.

  9. #9Steve Frazier2015-09-20 00:41

    Mr. AERO-X is actually located in Qatar and his IP is blacklisted on several sites as being related to spam. I think we'll nip this one in the bud....