Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydro Ax 411EX

Northstar47 ยท 2015-09-19 18:37

I'm considering buying a 1998 Hydro Ax 411EX that was used as a feller/buncher. It comes without the head and I would buy a used 8' rotary ax mower that came with the older model Hydro Ax.I have a couple of hundred acres of heavy brush to mow that is 10' to 15' tall with a base of 2" to 4". The machine has around 150hp and I'm concerned it may not have enough power. Also, how do I determine if the pumps have enough flow and cooling capacity to continuously run the mower under heavy load? Hope someone out there has worked on a similar conversion. Thanks.

Replies4
  1. #1lantraxco2015-09-19 20:09

    Disregard

  2. #2lantraxco2015-09-19 20:11

    What was Hydro Ax eventually came to be part of CAT forestry. You need to size the head to the horsepower you have available. On a feller buncher the highest power draw is travelling and you don't travel and shear at the same time. Mowers take raw power to the cutter and still have to travel while the mower is under it's heaviest load, different animals. Might need a bigger oil cooler also depending on how efficient the pumps and motors are. Might look at this thread: HeavyEquipmentForums

  3. #3Northstar472015-09-19 20:58

    I looked up the thread and it made my head swim. I'm used to using large farm equipment but not into forestry hydraulics to this extent. Since I'm dealing long distance on this equipment it looks like I should be dealing with a machine with a rotary ax mower already attached. You may have saved me much time and money. Thanks

  4. #4old-iron-habit2015-09-20 13:28

    I think you are very smart to buy one designed for a rotary mulcher. They are day and night different from a shear or hotsaw. There are lots of them out there with the head you desire.