Okay, am obviously not as familiar around heavy equipment as I am around the race car. I have a International 4900 series truck that I recently purchased and it needs a pinion seal replacement. The manual doesn't give much information other than backlash, .008-.012, which I get. My question is what can you use to tighten the pinion nut with aside from a really expensive and big torque wrench? Some have told me to use a 1" impact but I am afraid that hammering action may damage the hardened ring or pinion. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Hammer away with a 3/4" or 1" impact. It'll be fine. It takes a lot more abuse under everyday loads that a short burst of impact from tightening the pinion nut. It won't take much to get it tight if the threads aren't boogered up, splines are clean etc. If you're really concerned about it make a rig to hold the yoke so the impact isn't transferred to the gears. Not necessary but to each his own. Also, make sure the seal surface of the pinion isn't wore bad or you may need a seal with a sleeve so it had a good surface to seal on. Good luck! Junkyard
Awesome...thanks Junkyard!!!!!