buddy barry has two cylinders that need the seals changed out. so i put the cylinder up on an i-beam and need some pointers. thansk KoO Published Author
seals Not much help here, that you want to hear. I always took this kind of cylinder to the hydraulic shop. Most of the time they have trouble with them. I do remember the seal kits, were around $200 and the average labor about $2-300. I had a friend that tried to repack his and it leaked after two attempts. He was using the wrong seals, of course he found this out, after he installed it, had to take it back out, lot of work. Good Luck
I agree with willis. every time i seen someone that wasn't a cylinder specialist open one of these up it was just opening a can of worms.
We do not even bother re-sealing those cylinders, we just replace them with new ones. By the time they start to leak, the barrels are usually scored and worn where the seal sits, when the tub is down, from the dirt and dust and the vibration from travelling on our rough roads, as well as off road work. I am sorry that I am not much help to you either, KoO. Rn'R.
I would have to agree! Buy the time our cylinders started leaking, the top side of them had a grove in them so bad, rebuilding was out of the question. :beatsme
piece of cake. put a long bar thru the bottom mount hole so the cylinder wont turn on you. then make your self a bunch of metal squares 3/4 by 3/4 about a 1/2inch thick and weld two to each of the head sleeve. Then take two air hammers and unscrew each section at a time. Look for setscrews in the heads before you start to unscrew. lay the section and old seals out in order as u remove them and install in reverse order. Leave the squares on the head for later if you ever want to tighten the packing.