Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tags

pittedmess ยท 2009-10-18 13:15

How many of you folks register your trailers in Maine to save the out of line fees most states charge for licensing? ...

Replies8
  1. #1tuney4432013-12-17 09:55

    I was also looking into this also as it's NY trailer reggy redo month.Anybody???

  2. #2Dualie2013-12-18 02:11

    I have a buddy that registers all his collector cars through a lawyers office in Montana. saves several thousand bucks a year by doing so

  3. #3Old Doug2013-12-19 18:21

    Is this to keep from paying taxes on them. I worked for a company that had a PO box in a diffrent state for this resone.

  4. #4Dualie2013-12-19 19:57

    Yes, plus its less than $60 a piece to register for the year

  5. #5tuney4432013-12-23 09:41

    Well,I was about a day away from pulling the trigger on this,good thing I didn't.100% ILLEGAL for a resident of NY to register any trailer in any other state other than NY.It came right from NY DMV after I e-mailed them my question.They sent me the exact laws on this,no question,illegal,if you do it and get caught there's huge fines involved.This applies to both commercial and non-commercial trailers.

  6. #6Old Doug2013-12-23 17:06

    That reminds me of the poeple that had PO boxes in 2 states. That way they could get 2 welfare checks. In MO we have farm tags. It cost me 130.00 for my pickup tags and my buddy 30.00 for his farm tags. 90% of farm taged pickups never hauled any farm stuff. Their are billions of dollars saved by poeple doing stuff like this you have to figure out if you can sleep ok knowing it many cost you more in the end.

  7. #7ValleyFirewood2013-12-23 18:27

    If your going to register in another state, may as well find a cheap one! Idaho trailer tags are $35 for 10 years.

  8. #8Dualie2013-12-26 02:40

    its illegal for a person to do so but not a company. is this a personal trailer or a company trailer?