Never done this before but I'm going to be changing the transmission fluid in my 580B Case backhoe. *Do I need to drain the torque converter? *Does it have a drain plug? *How do I refill it? *Where Is the transmission filter?
Adam The filter is in front of the radiator. There are (2) drain plugs on the bottom of the case. Not sure about the torque converter, never drained mine, well not in the machine. Jim
The TC indeed does have a drain plug, remove the front drain plug and rotate the engine slowly till an allen plug is in the hole remove and drain.
Mel does the TC self prime or do I refill it?
It will self prime, the only way to refill it would be to remove it.
Be sure to follow the Case procedure to check the oil level when refilling it. Melben or Alrman will hopefully tell you how it is done.
Jim, there's no filter in front of the radiator. Only the Hydraulic pump.
It's a early 80's shuttle shift 580B Case.
Unless someone has butchered it, it should have a TC filter on the right side next to the front of the radiator behind the grill and cooling lines going into the bottom tank of the radiator. Could you post pictures of the machine in the clutch pedal area and the top of the bell housing right below the fuel tank. That casting contains the PS control valve and TC pressure regulator and could give us a clue of what's going on here. A line comes out of the top of the cover, goes to the front cooler and filter and a line comes back and into the side of the control block. Something is not making sense about your unit as cooling lines and a cast filter body cannot be missed and hosing/ piping would have to be made up to supply the TC and shuttle with working pressure if the cooler and filter circuit were deleted, From the factory the only machines that did not have the filter and cooler were dry clutch machines with a standard shuttle that you had to clutch to shift. Pictures if you can. Mel
Mel, Today I talked to the man that rebuilt the transmission before I bought the backhoe. He told me it was a dry clutch. No filter or TC.
That is what I was strongly suspecting. Mel
Mel, I was told to use hydrologic / transmission fluid in the front fill and 90w in the rear fill. Sound right???
Btw I bought a pdf. DVD with 5 manuals on it for my 580B. Unfortunately there's nothing on any of them about the transmission. That's why I'm asking all the transmission questions.
90 wt in the rear compartment, Hytran or equivalent up front
I have a manual shuttlte shift, with high low, does not have a torque converter, has a clutch, what fuild do I put in it? Trans fuild or 90wt? any help would be great, there are clutch packs so I assume its Trans oil, but I've have had other machinery that had clutches run in gear oil/90wt
Welcome to HEF, Tim ! If you need the service manual for your 580ck-B here is a link to it. It won't appear to be downloading but it will be in your downloads when done. http://www.minnpar.com/manuals5.aspx?FName=CASE (CNH) MANUALS&SFName=CNH (CASE) LOADER BACKHOE MANUALS&SSFName=BACKHOE (CASE) 580 SERIES PARTS MANUALS&SSSFName=CASE 580CK MODEL B SERVICE MANUAL On page 13-2 you will find the lube chart.