Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Charging system not working. 580CK with gen

s1120 ยท 2010-11-14 07:26

Ya.... its problem thread day today. OK... so I have a 68 580CK. The charging system has not worked sence I have had it, but I had a bad ingnation switch and had to jump it to run. Well now I have the new switch in, and I still show no charge on the guage, and the "gen" light stays lit. Sadly my repair manual only shows diag for the later alt setup. Not the early gen setup. I do have the wiring diagram for it though.So here is my issue..... Can anyone walk me through a diag on this setup? Ive messed around a little with gens on my old 8N, but not sure its the same setup. [the 8N is a "A" type] Any places to check? Common issues? Any help at all? Im a little lost :beatsme Thanks for any help guys!!

Replies7
  1. #1s11202010-11-14 08:41

    Just to add..... the battery had been disconnected all summer. Might the system need to be repolerized?? I had to do that with my 8N before. Anyone know the proceedure on the Case setup??

  2. #2Phil2010-11-16 07:11

    My knowledge in this area is not good, but I have heard that unless a regulator and generator are disconnected, there is no need to polarize. I understand that it depends on which generator you have, how you polarize, but my reference shows a momentary jumper between the gen and bat terminal on the regulator. I think you can test a generator by motoring it. If wiring fails between the two then one will fail in time. I think both components need to be grounded, and the regulator may have a terminal for this. I could stand to be corrected of course. I used to take both units in and have them checked together. Getting the generator off my CK was a pain and I think I waited until I split the tractor to get a hidden mounting bolt out, (located under the generator). For that reason I made a new mount and put an alternator on the engine, losing my tach drive in the process. Phil

  3. #3s11202010-11-18 08:51

    The gen LOOKED like it was tough to get off!!! So any way to drive the tach if you swap out the gen??? I realy dont want to loose it. I did find one wire a little burned near the connection at the reg. I am going to fix that first, and see how it goes.

  4. #4Phil2010-11-18 20:09

    Yes, you can exchange your engine block with the later one, that has the tach drive built in, if you can find one. You might need the later cable too. Phil

  5. #5s11202010-11-19 06:40

    LOL... well I dont need one THAT bad. Frankly I just use the thing around my yard... And being a diesel you dont draw the battery wile running, if its to major of a thing to fix, Ill just keep popping the battery charger on it at night.

  6. #6Phil2010-11-19 19:13

    Here are a couple of pictures. The mount I made uses a 3rd bolt, not shown, it's one of the power steering pump bolts. I like the early Delco alternator, but the cores are getting hard to find. It's a tight fit requiring just the right size of belt also. There are smaller alternators available that would give more adjustment, and more forgiving when mounting. Phil

  7. #7s11202010-11-21 09:16

    Man that is a snug fit in there isnt it!!! Hoping not to have to go that route.. Well I fixed the one bad wire I found. Still not working.. So I still have work to do.