Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cheap, easy solution to fogged gauge cover – 580K

Johnhrich ยท 2013-01-24 16:42

On my 'new' 580K I couldn't even tell that there were gauges - the cover was so fogged from being in the sun. So when I took out the gauge box to clean it up and fix, I knew that I had to do something. I used a Dremel tool - with one of the mini round saws to cut out the fogged area on the plastic cover. The whole cover is one piece - with the black portions only painted. Then cut a piece of Lexan ( $13 at Home Depot) to fit on the outside (not enough clearance on the inside between the cover and the gauge frame), used plastic super glue to hold in place, then a little silicon around the edges to assure watertightness. Tain't all that pretty but certainly can now see the gauges. Thought I would share.

Replies7
  1. #1alrman2013-01-24 17:18

    A bit of black paint to hide the glued areas will finish it off nicely. I remembered an older thread about this & this old dash came up looking like new - HeavyEquipmentForums

  2. #2fast_st2013-01-24 17:27

    Black paint? eww, get the wood grain edge stickers

  3. #3Scrub Puller2013-01-24 17:37

    Yair . . . That's a nice easy to read display but it seems illogical to have all gauges in one unit . . . anyone know what it would cost to replace? Cheers.

  4. #4alrman2013-01-24 17:51

    For the whole dash cluster - List price US $1054.00 - You can probably double that price in AU $ if purchased from a dealer over here Scrub Puller. The clear lense cover lists at US $99.00

  5. #5Scrub Puller2013-01-24 18:53

    Yair . . . Thank's alrman . No wonder a bloke was keen to give me a hundred bucks for a tea-chest full of assorted Caterpillar gauges I'd collected over the years LOL . . . Can you still buy proper two inch gauges and sender units from Cat? Cheers

  6. #6mitch5042013-01-25 01:06

    I used a bottle of plastic polish made for headlights and old t-shirt. About 30-40 minutes polishing inside and out it went from totally crazed to like new.

  7. #7Johnhrich2013-01-25 20:01

    Right you were airman. Looks MUCH better with paint. Should have thought of it myself.