Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cheap oil for a trans flush, and flush oil out of cooling system?

fastline · 2021-12-03 12:39

Lost a trans cooler so now dealing with the cross contamination issue. As well, oil price is high right now. Where is your favorite bargain barn for oils? My machine calls for SAE30 but something close is probably fine. It won't be doing any work, just jogging and trying to work everything into suspension before another change. Also, I do have oil contamination in the cooling system. It is hard to determine the extent just yet but I will need something in there to hopefully get up to temp, protect pump seals, and mix with the oil to get it all cleaned out? The other complicating factor is we are pushing into winter so whatever I put in will need to come back out asap unless there is something with some freeze protection?

Replies11
  1. #1kshansen2021-12-03 14:49

    I'll let other suggest oils but when we had the oil in coolant problems the two go to its for us were Spic-n-Span or else any automatic dishwasher powder. Always made it a point to dissolve the powdered soaps well before putting in system. The idea on the dishwasher powdered soaps was they a a non-foaming detergent. Depending on how bad the oil contamination is it might take several mixtures run through with good rinsing with clean water between. Had to do this on a 988H and even after the first day of several flushing's we had to repeat this every few days for a couple weeks to get it to looking clean! Also can help to fill to over flowing from radiator neck as oil will tend to raise to the top.

  2. #2kshansen2021-12-03 14:54

    Just remembered that some transmission clutch plate do not get along with glycol type antifreeze. Think if I remember the worst was Allison Transmissions. It coolant would dissolve the binder for the linings and the only fix was a total replacement of the lined plates and a good scrubbing of the steel plates.

  3. #3Coaldust2021-12-03 15:05

    Spic and span for the win. But,.... the gov banned the good stuff years ago. So add a tablespoon of tripolyphisphate to the spic and span. You can find it on the Amazon. Or, get the Cascade Fryer Boil Out, which is very similar to the pre-ban Cascade dishwasher detergent we grew up with.

  4. #4kshansen2021-12-03 15:07

    That might be the reason that 988H, the last one I had to clean out, took so many doses to get it clean!

  5. #5Coaldust2021-12-03 15:08

    Cheap oil? Here is the click bait, life hack one trick that will change your life. Check with your favorite bulk oil distributor for expired product. They often give it away. I gave pallets of it away because that’s the cheapest way to deal with it.

  6. #6fastline2021-12-03 16:59

    LOL. maybe in your area but I highly doubt mine. Willing to check though. Price of oil and all, just really like to start with reasonably clean oil.

  7. #7JLarson2021-12-03 17:08

    I'll run that shell or TSC universal stuff in some cases to clean up or in really bad leakers to get em out of somewhere, depends on the machine tho. Hard to beat dawn for heavy duty oil removal. I'll loose the stats then the cooling system meets the blue dawn. Then we flush several times with a final distilled water flush.

  8. #8fastline2021-12-03 17:17

    I figured that stuff would suds up too bad? Good call on the stats.

  9. #9JLarson2021-12-03 17:34

    The suds is part of the punch, they're little scrubbers. The non foaming dish stuff works but only to a point.

  10. #10treemuncher2021-12-03 18:25

    A hydraulic shop told me diesel fuel was the best flushing oil to use in hydraulics. That's what I normally use with my filtration cart. I also keep a barrel of mixed diesel & hydraulic oil from previous flushes to start pushing the pure diesel out. I would think it should be ok for the transmission as well. I plan to flush a planetary with diesel tomorrow and see how many chips I can dislodge before putting it back in service while I wait on a new planetary. The motor blew the shaft seal and contaminated the gear oil with hydraulic oil. I started shedding some large chips from the damaged oil but hopefully I can still run it for a while during the wait for the new one to arrive. I'll be doing daily checks on chip shedding and oil levels. Shipping is backed up, even in Vancouver, so I'm told not to expect anything until January now. It was 2-3 weeks about 2+ weeks ago. Hurry up and wait....

  11. #11Coaldust2021-12-03 18:35

    Good advice treemumcher. Diesel works great for that. That’s my go-to for seine skiffs and other things that end up in Davy Jones Locker. Shout out to those folks in BC dealing with that mess. That’s terrible.