Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cheap tractors

rabbit16 · 2007-12-31 17:03

I was wondering what brand tractor would be a good cheap tractor. It has to be a larger tractor, over 175 horspower. I know that I would have to spend 50 to 100k for one but I would like to spend as little as possible. I was looking at fendts because the owner of the local auto parts store said theyed be cheap and reliable. Any input would be much appreciated.

Replies16
  1. #1Lnolon2008-01-01 09:38

    What type of work are you going to be doing? Loader, mowing, pulling a large implement, ect. Ben

  2. #2rabbit162008-01-08 11:13

    In the winter it would use a larger snowblower that my boss has in storage and in the summer it would be used for anything from farm work to landscaping work and lawnmowing.

  3. #3Cavalo2008-01-08 11:23

    In the area that I live in there is alot of Fendt tractors and they seem to be alot like the Energizer bunny..........just keep going and going! There was a dealer close here and I think that is important, because if you ever need support they are right there. Good Luck...........

  4. #4rabbit162008-01-08 11:25

    do you know any dealers in the U.S.?

  5. #5Cavalo2008-01-08 11:43

    I am from Canada so my advice would be to just go online and type in Fendt tractors and it will probably give you all the info you need. By the way..................welcome to the forum........ Im new as well.

  6. #6Lnolon2008-01-09 08:20

    If you have a Case or New Holland dealer near, you should check out a TV140 or TV145. There are only rated for 105 PTO HP but there are the best loader tractor. A TV140 uses a hydrostatic transmission and the seat turns around so you can operate it in either direction. TV140 pic The most important thing is to find a dealer that you get along with. All the new large tractors are well made so brand doesn’t really matter just that the machine dose what you want. What kind of farm work will you be doing? And what kind of mowing?

  7. #7rabbit162008-01-09 11:13

    During the summer we would probably rent it out to farmers to do plowing and such. As for mowing I was looking at one of those 15 to 20 ft pto driven mowers that you can pull behind the tractors

  8. #8Preppypyro2008-01-09 23:02

    Hey there Cavalo, you used to just about be my neighbor! I used to live in agassiz, just moved from there this summer.

  9. #9Cavalo2008-01-10 12:33

    Wow.......I would have never guessed that. What possessed you to move to Sask.?? Where in Agassiz did you live and what kind of Equipment do you have?? I moved here in Sept. of 2006 from Chilliwack, I was born and raised in Abby. Nice to know ya! I am acutally living on the border of Harrison by the Harrison Golf Course, so technically I am in Agassiz or Kent if you will.

  10. #10Preppypyro2008-01-16 12:14

    I actually lived in town, on heath road. I moved back to sask honestly because I could not stand the smog and the busy people down there! Sounds dumb, I also wasnt much for living in the mountains, I was constantly wondering what was beyond them lol. I do miss harrison lake though, and have went out on the lake a million times to rainbow falls, with my ol 14 foot boat. Right now I just have a 1995 case 580 sk backhoe. Im looking to get a dump truck with a pintle hitch trailer for it, then time will only tell what Im gonna get next. All depends how I do with the hoe!

  11. #11Cavalo2008-01-17 22:00

    I know where heath road is, I worked on it today. I understand about the busy part and all the smog, but I dont have a choice, If i could I would move to the interior away from all the people and smog as well, I do like the mountains though...........guess I will have to wait till I retire.......good luck with your hoe.

  12. #12stumpjumper832008-01-18 08:17

    Ok, to start you off fendts are the mercedes of tractors. Top of the line in price and features. I think that they even have a short school that you need to go to to learn how to operate them. At least thats how they have been for the last 5 - 10 years. Secondly, how does the snow blower hook up? How wide is the blower? What size pto does it require? There are three common ones, 540 rpm 6 spline, 1,000 rpm 1 3/8 20 spline, & 1,000rpm 1 3/4 21 spline. 540 isn't recomended over 85hp, 1 3/8 is 150 i believe. Third, what kind of material will you be mowing? In grass you should only need about 150hp to pull a 20' rotary mower. I personally pull a 10' with 90hp. and it plays with it, I should get a 15' for it. Fourth, how are you planing on transporting this machine, most of the tractors over 175 hp. are oversize loads, requiring a permit. They also require that you take the dual or tripple tires off because of width. You might not want duals/tripples to blow snow with, but they will almost be a must for tillage work, and handy for floation when mowing if you have wet ground. Also big tractors are heavy, might require a semi with a detachable trailer to move them. Now, as far and the cost, if your willing to go used you can save yourself alot of dough. For instance hopefully early this summer I'll have a 125hp. Massey Fergson 1105 with cab and heat for sale. Its a mid seventies model. Standard trans with 6f 2r w/ multipower which is a on the go hi/lo doubling the gears. It has a big turbo charged 6cyl. perkins desil in it. It also is able to use all three pto sizes. For that I'll be asking in the 8 to 12 thousand range. Hope I helped you out a little.

  13. #13Preppypyro2008-01-18 10:02

    Yeah to each their own for sure. I actually used to work at britco as an electrician when I was down there, you must have heard of britco before? I would love to buy a cabin out there near harrison but the prices are just way to nuts for me to have land out here and a cabin out there! So far the hoe seems to be pretty good

  14. #14Cavalo2008-01-18 11:51

    You know I contract to Terasen and I work out of the muster here in Agassiz, it was built around 1996 and the building is from Britco industries, I wonder if you did the electrical in this place?? Everything is good incase you were wondering if there was electrical problems or not

  15. #15Preppypyro2008-01-19 10:34

    Lol god to know that me and the boys didnt mess anything electrical up

  16. #16TraxterMaster2010-03-11 16:43

    we own 2 fendts a 712 and a 930. we do snow removal and the 712 has a normand commercial 104' wide snowblower on the front and a 870kg balast on the back. fendt are distributed in most Agco dealer and now that they discontiued the agco orange tractor they might have some more dealer poping out.