Has anyone seen the new JD 310 SG yet..........man o man is this machine going to be the leader in the industry. I went to a promo at one of the dealers and they showed what this machine has to offer, it is not new technology but it has never been on a backhoe before. I tried it out and man is it fast............I would like to hear what others have to say about this machine. Does anyone have one yet???
Jd 310 Sg Ran one about three yrs ago and the other year it was a nice machine and fast for the most part was having to dig frozen clay down as far as 4 ft so was work for it. I sure did like the 410 SG that had power! The other time was mixing invert with shavings so was lots of hours that weren't worth it. ( I wouldn't have got out of bed to answer the phone had I known what he was paying) Have they changed in the few years what way?
You mean SJ, right? G series has been out for years now.
Ive replied to a couple threads here on the SJ. Incredible machine but the TMC controls are terrible. I 100% did not like the controls, absolutly no feel at all. Ill stay with mechanical controls anyday.
what are "tmc" controls?
Yes SJ..........sorry cascade scraper........
TMC controls are Total Machine Control..........or just pilots. I just recently went from mechanical controls to pilots and yes they did take a while to get used to. At first I found they didnt have much feel and it was hard to get accuracy........but now after a year they are so easy, almost effortless and I think that the feel is better now than the old lever style. I really like them.
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Cavalo! :drinkup
Why thank-you, its about time someone said something to me..........I am beginning to think that all the people from Georgia are the nicest in the whole US of A.........my wife belongs to a sewing forum and she has an awesome friend from there two.............do they have alot of apple pie there?? or what??
Well we do try. I think we coined the term "Southern Hospitality" Baked fresh by mama, with apples picked off the tree in the back yard. MMM MMM GOOD!
Seeee........that does sound good.:thumbsup
I did a little reading on Deere's website. From what I understand, you can get TMC or whatever, which is basically E/H controls or you can get good 'ol pilots for the backhoe controls? I'd go pilots, hands down, if given a choice.
While you were on their website did you see what that machine has to offer?? When I saw the demo, even I was impressed! You are right, you can still get whatever controls that you prefer.
I saw the demo at Jesco at their open house. The machine was impressive. Tons of new features, only down side is your relying on a lot of electronics.
Nice Deere Cavalo!
Thanks for that, but are you talking about my avatar, or this thread?? either way........... you are correct!
Oh....I just noticed something, coming from a Case man that really means alot!:notworthy
Haha, Im a die hard Case man but I think Deere is equal. Only 2 backhoes on the market Id even think of buying, Case and Deere.
Funny thing is I was brought up around case, in fact my two brothers have case 580s. My last case backhoe was in 1994, it was a 580E, great machine, it treated me well. My first JD was kind of forced on me, the saleman wouldnt quit, and that was my very first JD. The 310SG I have now is my third JD and I bought it right before they came out with SJ and the color change, I didnt know they were going to do that otherwise I would have waited. ointhead
How do you like the Deere opposed to the Case. I think the deeres are better for pushing and the 4wd is better. Otherwise I like the case overcenter boom much more and prefer the dual piston linkage on the front instead of the single.
Sorry........I was posting a new thread in Showtime called "pics of My rig" check it out..........as far as your question goes, funny thing, I like it for all the reasons you dont like Deere, I like the single cylinder on the front end and the tight and quiet boom lock, also the curved boom and the very quiet cab. You are right about the pushing and 4wd, I find that superior to the case. One of the drawbacks of the deere is, it is slow on the road. I like the smoothness of the deere and the fast back end. Case has a hyd. coupler now and that is something Deere doesnt quite have yet, but to my understanding it is coming out soon. I like the bigger tires in the front for running over curbs and in the mud, however the case was alot better in the mud when you are in a real S%&@ hole of mud. The case just seems to float over the juice, must be because of the light front end, where as the Deere is more balanced but has more weight on the front, hence that sinking that occurs when in mud.
Ive spent the last week and a half in nothing but mud. We have a Super L 2 w/ a little over 4,000hours. It may not be the heaviest machine but its quick, powerful, and a workhorse. How do you like the response and feel on a Deere over the Case. The Deere chopsticks are nice but I think the Case has better response. Probaly because I run a Case.
new 310sj I like the machine. but I must say I dont like the pilot controls for feeling pipes unforseen. I do know one thing the out riggers will throw a rock right through your window and through the roof of the cab. most powerful outriggers ive seen lol.I read this new machine has cruise control. I personally would rather have a backhoe with forks integrated. I like john deere but I must say jcb is paying attention to what operaters need. pilot controls are hydraulic and electric. fold out forks . powder coated paint. heated seats. pilot controls integrated into seat. great visability on front loader. thier service out here though is not good. light package on the 310sj is nice. I wish john deere would do something about that three piece window in the back.
Hi John M.........I thought the same thing about my machine when I got it. It is a 07 310SG and has the pilots on the stantions, and at first i thought that the pilots were not as great as they say they are, but over time I found them to be easier on the arms and easier to run, and easier to feel stuff in the ground. I know that the new SJ has a half speed (which I have tried out) and that seems to be really nice for digging around pipes and buried utilities. As far as the forks go, at the demo of this machine I switched to a cat front bucket from the JD forks in seconds. The only complaint is that the forks are not expandable so you can make them wider to hold pipe and such with out the load falling over easily. As far as the back window, I work in alot of rain in my area and to be able to put the window half up or in different confirgurations is good because it keeps the rain from hitting you. You are right about the stabilizers or out riggers, in fact I have hit the window with rocks many times, but never broke a window thank goodness. When you say cruise control.......do you mean ride control?? Ride control is the best invention to man......I dont know how i did with out it. There are alot of features on the SJ that I didnt even know it had.......it is not new technology but is new on the backhoes after being on all the other equipment for years like the bulldozers, agriculture tractors and such. Everything is electronic. Go to this site and check out some of the options..... www.deere.com/en_US/cfd/construction/deere_const/newsroom/070306_jseries_backhoes.html by the way.........where the heck is hesperia???
After having both machines I would say that the deere is way faster than a case back end and as far as smoothness...........well, I like the deere, what can I say. Case to me seems more mechanical if you know what I mean.
Hey guys..... I have finally tried out 2 deere J series. a 410J TMC and a 710J. I grew up a JD man with the backhoes and when the old man bought a 310SG back when they came out with the pilots I thought they were the best thing to happen to me. But then I started workin for another company and I ended up on a Case 580 Super L2 and found out how much nicer a Case back end can dig. I have only about 100hrs with a Case pilot control machine and I found myself liking it and not liking it at the same time. It seems awful slow when your trenching, but amazing when digging around pipes. I noticed it the other day when digging with the Deere's that the curved boom really messes me up now. I try and work closer to the machine and I go to pick the bucket up and I'm already on the lock. I never realized how nice the Case over center boom really is. But the loader on the Deere is amazing. I have also had the chance to spend some time on a JCB 3CX recently and found out what a real piece of junk is really like. I think I would rather have our '88 310C or a 580SK Turbo over a 3CX. I would think the ultimate backhoe could be a Deere 310SJ with the Case back end... and for that 3pc rear window.... get the old Case L series back window. I removed almost all the screws on the right side of the window so I could uncrew 3 or 4 every morning and just take all the windows right out. Sooo much nicer since my machine didnt have AC!
Dont those big black horse flies bother you with no rear window??
Don't know what you boys are complaining about with Deere's rear window--I love it in my 410G---like I said though in an earlier post--just make double sure you have the bottom bumper in place or else---C--R--A--C--K---yes,it was very pricey to replace.Best TLB's on the planet,no reason whatsoever for Case rear's or whatnot--besides, a Cadeere sounds ridiculous When my son was 2 years old, he had it right--went around the house declaring ''Nothing runs like a deere.'' Wonder where he heard that from?
Three piece window is nice. Drop the top one down but leave it closed enough to shield your hands from the wind.
The new J series machines do have CRUISE control. It works similar to your pickup in that you dial up your engine speed on the electronic hand throttle for transport speed and as soon as you hit the brakes the machine goes to idle. Pretty nice little feature
That engine speed can be left up when digging as well and then when you turn the seat around it will idle down and then back up to the revs that you were at again when you flip around to dig. The 4 wheel drive will kick out in 4th gear as well, and if you dont have it in 4 wheel drive and your rear wheels spin, it will come on and then go off again when on hard ground or on blacktop.............impressive The front bucket can be run at the same time as the back end when pulling your self out of muck with one hand on the right side pilot control on the arm rest.........I have seen this and done it and it is something to behold i tell you what!
Don't forget that Deere still offers the plain old manual controls. They have refined them so they move easier and are less tiring on your arms than they used to be and they dig around utilities better because of feel. Deere is the only company to offer any type of controls you want, including Ford or Case style with all the levers and foot swing. On the new Deere J series they offer 6 types of controls. Geno
Yes you are right, I actually just wrote that on a different thread that they were talking about older controls on the case backhoes. I believe that you are right when JD is the only machine that offers this now.
Everyone got on the Pilot Control band wagon and all maufacturers push them as the way to go. They are nice to operate, but as a backhoe loader operator you get in and out of the machine alot and spin the seat to face forward and operate the front loader a good portion of the time. Backhoe loaders also dig around utitiies alot so the good old manual controls still come in handy. I guess that is Deere's reason for still offering them. Geno
That is true about needing to get in and out alot, but digging around utilities I find that pilots are way better, and the feel is is just as good if not better than the levers. I thought at first that the levers where better as well, but now I would never go back.........pilots are just so much more smoother and accurate (I have the accuswing on mine)they are vertually effortless and very comfortable. The new SJ has the pilots in the seat (armrests) and having tried these as well, there is a ton of room in that cab, because there are no levers for the outriggers, or the front bucket.......no levers at all, it is unreal all the room that is in the cab, and as far as getting in and out quick, no problem.
I'm still not sold on Pilots in some situations. I have had some experience on them now digging around utilities and yes you can't feel as much through the controls as you can with standard levers, I have learned to feel it more accurately through the machine and have had great success digging around gas lines with our 710G. But I have straight line trenched in a Deer 710D and G, a 310SG and SJ, a Case 580 Super L2 and a Super M2 with pilots. For just digging fast I noticed both the cases and the deere's lose a pile of speed as soon as you go to pilots. With the 580 Super L I could swat out basements with a 42" H&H bucket like it wasn't there. When my boss got the Super M I got it and figured it would be faster but ended up adding an extra hour to each basement job with my big bucket. Also I have noticed when your really hoggin on it, with the pilots you have to be smoother more like an excavator, pulling in even each time for every cut. With the standard levers I noticed I could just take the bucket and almost karate chop the ground and pull the stick in and load the bucket. It was looking like I 1 functioned it most of the time and found that I was digging much faster than normal. Maybe its just me but I kind of still prefer a nice machine with good sticks. Out of the 70+ backhoes I have run at different times the one I prefer the most was the 1998 580Super L2, had great controls, lots of power and well balanced. And it had that sexy 40th Anniversary sticker on the boom... great backhoe.
I dont like pilots. A friend of mine has a Super M with pilots and after running it for a bit and starting to get use to the differance, I start to like them. But as soon as I go back our Series 2 Super L I feel right at home. I feel much more comfortable with heavy loads, people in the area, and objects with the Super L. Keep in mind Ive spent many many more hours on the L. For me its not only the feel in the digging cycle, but the feel of the valves opening while starting to swing.
When I jumped from the 580SK Turbo to the 580 SL2 I didn't like the L at all. The control effort was so much lower on the L and the cab is so much nicer but I didn't like it at first. But it might have taken 3 or 4 days and I was in love with that beast. The only thing I dont like with the L's or the M's is that they are too light and don't push like the old SK did.
If you ask me, the K with less horsepower, would not spin the wheels as easy. If you let an L, it will dig itself a hole with the what 15-20 extra horse and turbo.
We had a '94 580SK Turbo, the last year of the K's they had the same Cummins the L ran with the turbo. We always called her the Sports Kar model. It blew the L's away in power, and goin up a hill when you were roading it was amazing. I carried a breaker rack on the front of the machine with an Allied 750lb breaker, Allied hoe pack and my H&H 42" and 18" buckets.
This is probably true, when you tried an SJ was it the one with the valves on the cylinders?? Because that machine to me was scary fast! I never operated a L model case but I did the C, super D, super E, SK and a super M, along with JD D, 310SG (two machines), 310G and an old 680 Case, 755 Ford, and a and a very old JD 510c.......many I forgot about all the old iron I used to run.............gives me a bit of chill down the spine it does!
The 310SJ I tried out was with the standard pilot controls, but I tried out a 710J with the TMC and the valves on the cylinders and it still seemed to lag for me. It seemed a shade slower than our 710D with sticks but you are right they are a fast machine. I am just a young lad so I love a fast machine. Last fall we put the 710G up against a 270C LC Excavator. I dug with a 30" bucket 42" deep and 100m long, he did 4ft wide, 4ft deep and 100m long. I blew that 270 away, she wasn't the sexiest lookin trenching I have done, but I was impressed. As for the different backhoes I have run... its a LONG list so far. Ford/New Holland-755D,LB75B and a LB115 Deere- 310A,B,C,D,SE,SG,SJ, 410A,C,D,G, 510C, 610C, 710C,D,G,J Case- 580C,D,K,SK,L,L2,M,M2, 590S L Dynahoe- 210 JCB- 3CX Komatsu-W140B I have jumped around on a lot of hoes and each one seems to have something different I like more than the other...except the JCB. They are like John Deere in respect to road graders.. they have no business making them!
No kidding? Last Super K I ran over the road, I could watch the grass grow as I went down the road. No turbo on it though. Ive never run a SK with a turbo. Ive run B, C, E, K, L1, L2, and M2 as far as Cases.
(quote burnout )I am just a young lad so I love a fast machine. Last fall we put the 710G up against a 270C LC Excavator. I dug with a 30" bucket 42" deep and 100m long, he did 4ft wide, 4ft deep and 100m long. I blew that 270 away, she wasn't the sexiest lookin trenching I have done, but I was impressed. was it a case of the hare against the tortoise did the 270 operator go for a nap under the trees and forget or the machine had big problems:beatsme
Nope, she is a pretty decent 270, the operator isn't the greatest operator in the world but I wouldn't say I am the best either, I certainly know how to move oil around though. It was simply a fact that in that kind of situation we were digging ina manor that the backhoe had a huge advantage. It takes longer for the excavator to swing the dirt 1m off the trench and then swing back into the hole, while the backhoe can just jerk the boom and dump and scream back into the hole. I'm sure if I was in the 270 and he was in the 710 the outcome would have been the same..... well except I would have just swatted the 710 out of the way