I'm looking for a cheap way to pressurize the cooling system on an engine, I can test the radiator cap, and its only 7 lbs psi and I'm wanting more pressure yet to check for leaks, maybe 15 lbs or so. Nobody has the adapter I need to use the pressure testing kit that most parts stores have. Anyone have an ideas as to how to go about it??
Take a heater hose, kabobble some fittings together for the air compressor and a ball valve with a fancy pressure gauge and walla!
Most caps are designed to let pressure back in easily to let the radiator suck the coolant out of a overflow tank when there is one. With the cap tight you can blow on the rubber hose (or a rubber hose attached to the overflow tube) and pressurize the radiator and the whole works. A blow gun and regulator are all you need if the cap is the right type. I guess you need a 15 pound cap or some "helper springs" for the existing cap.
I read somewhere a guy took an old bike inertube and cut out the section with the valve stem and attached it with a hose clamp. Not perfect but would work in a pinch
Works for bleeding fuel systems from pressurizing the tank with 5 to 6 lbs. Should work with a radiator also, although to get fifteen lbs in a tube it would have to be cut close to keep from expanding to far.
I "T" into a heater hose cooler drain line etc. Then use compressed air hose with a gage. I put a piece of inner tube under the cap to keep it from going out the over flow.
Put a hose on the radiator drain petcock or valve for the pressure line. Plug the overflow / blow-off outlet at the cap. I just did it Thursday on one of my radiators.
Hey! I think I'm the "guy".
Thanks guys, at least I now have some options to try on the next rainy day. We're having antifreeze issues in my oil and not sure where its coming from, thought I'd pressurize the system and look with the oil pan off to see if I can see anything anywhere.
Caterpillar engine ??
Years ago I bought the coolant pressure test kit made by Stant. I carry it in the truck all the time and consider it money really well spent. The kit has paid for itself many times over.
I'm with Tinkerer, is it a Cat engine? and what series if it is? could very well be a liner seal if if its a 3304, but if its an international v8 like the 7.3 powerjoke, they are notorious for leaking injector cup seals. Personal experience, if you have one start leaking, you're just as well to replace all of them while its down. I keep a coolant test kit in truck all time also, good for caps and systems alike.
tinkerer, its a case four cylinder diesel in a small dozer. John, any idea what the part number would be or where you ordered it through?
http://www.amazon.com/Stant-12270-Cooling-System-Pressure/dp/B0002SRGWU
Bet you can see it without pressure with the pan off
Which engine is it 188 D case ?
I got mine through Napa. I can get you a part number tomorrow but if you ask for the radiator or coolant pressure tester they should be able to find it. Later on I got a rubber adapter that fits inside the radiator neck which fit most of the oddball size caps. I'll take a photo of the kit tomorrow.
shopguy, its a case 336 engine, they are notorious for leaking around the orings on the bottom of the sleeves, and have a tendency to corrode the block. I was sure I'd see something from down below, but as of yet after over a week, nothing is showing up. I've had the heads off a few years ago and gone through and gave it a valve job, new injectors and had the pump gone through as well. I was hoping for a blown head gasket and only to have to take one head off, but as of yet, nothing is showing up. Next is to pressurize the system to see if that does the trick, but my local parts shop isn't getting the job done yet in getting me the right kit. Thanks for the tool link.
Here is the kit I've used for years. The funny looking bunch of rubber bushing is an add on I picked up for doing some of the large and some of the small necks.
Where did you get the funny looking add on? I need that for mine I believe Stant is the OEM for all the rebranded versions of this on the tool trucks. Heres a link you might find interesting: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249851 It's the OEM's of a lot of Tool Truck tools, usually at a much cheaper price
I got is a few years after I got the kit. I think I ordered from the local Napa store. I think I saw it in the book that came with the kit or maybe the parts guy looked it up when I described the troubles I was having at that time.
Brilliant minds think alike. I went outside and got mine out from behind the seat of my truck to look in the book. No luck in the instructions so google to the rescue, Mityvac makes one. MV4506 Universal Cooling System Adapter. Thanks for a great idea. There's nothing like pulling your Handy, Dandy Pressure Checker out to find it doesn't fit
John, roddyo, thanks for the information, that's exactly the part I need and my local napa can't find for me, the part number was priceless to me, apparently I'm not savvy enough on the net, I absolutely gave up trying to find it myself. I'll call today and see what it costs and how long it'll take to get one to me.
http://www.tooltopia.com/mityvac-mv4506.aspx less than $39.00 with free shipping on $75.00 purchase. tool discounter has it for around thirty dollars although there service is pretty slow at times and I'm not sure what they charge for shipping. ToolTopia has been top notch if NAPA doesn't work out.