Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

john Deere 250 skid steer help

vera66 ยท 2015-04-12 01:52

Hey everyone so I have been trying to figure out a steering problem for sometime now. Basically the left controls don't really work at idle the machine won't even move when pushing the left lever forward or reverse and when full throttle it moves but surges. The right control will move the machine at idle as soon as you touch it. My foreman said it was the drive motor I removed it and they had it rebuilt installed it today still have the same problem it seems like a pressure problem but I have no idea were to start. We don't have any service litature on it so if anyone has any experience with these skid steers and can lead me in the right direction that would be awesome cause I am stumped.

Replies8
  1. #1vera662015-04-12 01:58

    Also the last picture is of the parking brake how do I get it to release so I can install it?

  2. #2partsandservice2015-04-12 22:48

    Each drive side is a closed loop system consisting of a pump and motor. You must now address the left hand drive pump. Each loop system will have a charge pump. You could check for charge pressure on that side. However, because this is a closed loop, if ther is pump damage running the machine to test can result in more damage to the pump and motor. Once it is established that it is a hydraulic failure and not broken chains, ect. I would remove the pump and motor to disassemble and inspect.

  3. #3vera662015-04-12 23:12

    The chains are fine and the left motor has been rebuilt already so then it must be the hydraulic pump. How are the pumps working though because aren't they connected so isn't it one pump?

  4. #4partsandservice2015-04-13 01:15

    Speaking generally . There are actually five pumps. Right hand drive pump with internal charge pump(2) left hand drive pump with internal charge pump(2) and the hydraulic pump(1). A high flow machine could have an additional pump to make 6.

  5. #5Deere John2015-04-13 20:53

    I am not sure I follow you, where are the "charge pumps"? You have two rotator groups with swash plates, and the gear pump up front for the boom/bucket/auxillaries.

  6. #6partsandservice2015-04-14 00:21

    For some reason I could not find the 250 on parts look up , this is from a 325 jd which has the same set. The breakdown is of one drive pump for one side. Line item 56 is the charge pump and 35 is the rotating group the sets on the swash plate(23). All hydrostatic systems require a charge pump, they serve three purposes, it keeps the pressure on the low pressure side( which can be either side depending on direction the oil is flowing in the loop) from dropping to low thus preventing cavitation, because the oil stays in the loop it is not traveling through a cooler so some oil is released from the loop via a flushing valve and from normal leakage so the charge pump makes up this lose with cooled oil, the charge pressure also is used to control the position of the swash plate. Even in this application where pump engagement is controlled by a lever, the lever is controlling how much of this oil is allowed to move the servo piston (7) which in turn changes the angle of the swash plate. So left and right hand drive each with an internal charge pump (4 pumps). I hope I am explaining this well.

  7. #7partsandservice2015-04-17 21:56

    I intended to include this with my previous post not sure what happened.

  8. #8vera662015-04-17 22:05

    Thanks for all the help guys figured out that the drive motor I thought was rebuilt just hard the brakes replaced the seals were bad from what I was told but it works fine baby