Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Check out this lil gem….

Yellowirondude ยท 2011-11-05 09:42

Ok Ok, its not a lil gem. Its pretty big. Found in the middle of Djbouti last year, AND, I got it up, running and operating. Love me some custom products. Here is the badging And when I saw this (as this if my first CP), I was jumping like a lil boy in a toy store Unfortunately, it was a active job site and the LT wasnt there to play around. So off to work we went, with little time to snap anymore pics. If you would like the complete story, fire away...... Regards and Enjoy, YID

Replies7
  1. #1pp13bnos2011-11-05 09:54

    Yeah, it does look a little bigger than my D3... I'm guessing that CP, is just that....a custom product from the factory from Cat?

  2. #2Yellowirondude2011-11-05 13:36

    Sure is, as the Desert AR is part of the special too. It had a better air cleaner, the sunshade attached to the ROPS seemed to stick out farther then most, keeping that African sun off the ops face and it had a larger radiator resevoir. Regards, YID

  3. #3Nige2011-11-05 14:12

    Any machine leaving Cat's factory with any single attachment that's classed as a "Custom" in the Machine Price List (usually has a 2Z-xxxx or 3Z-xxxx Group Number) gets "Custom Product" badges on it. All our 789C's have Custom Product badges on them and, guess what, the only thing "custom" on the whole truck is the footrest assembly for the operator's left foot ....... some Custom Product eh ...?? The ROPS on that D9R in the picture is the standard ROPS when no cab is installed on the machine. When the machine has a cab the ROPS can be shorter in length because the cab roof is classed as a FOPS structure in itself. Without a cab the ROPS "sunshade" has to cover the operator as well. The tractor would have a HEUI engine in it. How the feck did you get it started .......?? The Sy-Klone turbine precleaner is an attachment. It's the same one as we used to put on machines going into the desert in South America. The Desert Arrangement is a 124-5170, more correctly titled "Machine Arrangement - High Ambient Temperature". It consists of a different fan and anti-sandblast radiator grid, different radiator cores, the turbine precleaner, a sealed belly pan arrangement (a bit like a waste handling tractor), and a different engine compartment enclosure, and of course the film on the fuel tank .......!! The whole package is an attempt to stop the engine sucking sand plus to avoid sandblasting the radiator cores.

  4. #4Yellowirondude2011-11-06 14:50

    well its always nice to learn something new everyday. Though now Im not jumping so much as a little boy in a candy store. How did I get it started? I borrowed two batteries off of a Djboutian grader (CAT12M in a disgusting lime green color), walked those over to the dozer, had my Marines install the batteries; had a precursory good luck smoke, flipped the battery switch (I keep a CAT batt key on me where-ever I go for reasons like this), pulled the go stick wide open then back to the detent, threw out said smoke, turned the key. A couple coughs, a small sputter, and enough of the black stuff to kill a whole rain forest and she came to life.

  5. #5Nige2011-11-06 16:40

    It must be an early D9R 8BL00001-00829 number range. They were built with 3408 mechanical-injection engines instead of the HEUI engine fitted to the later models. Makes sense when I look at the first photo with the mechanical governor control. Probably dates from around 1994-95 time frame.

  6. #6Ross2011-11-06 19:02

    You can still buy New D9R's .. The desert machines with the mechanical Fuel pump. WDM & ACL prefix

  7. #7Nige2011-11-07 07:24

    I take it WDM prefix machines have steering clutches & brakes where ACL are differential steer then..? We had some ACL-prefix machines in S. America but all had HEUI engines in them. I can understand why you wouldn't want to take a HEUI engine to the desert in the Middle East. Yet it begs the question why Cat considered it was OK to send them to a desert area in South Ameriuca though. Ferking things were nothing but trouble, a lot of customers retrofitted them with mechanical injection engines.