Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Check tranny fluid….engine running or not?

westladog ยท 2010-11-16 23:39

If I check my Terex 650B skiploader when the engine is not running, the dipstick indicates I'm way low on oil. If I check while the engine is running, I'm within normal range. I read the operator manual but nothing in the manual about keeping the engine running or not when checking tranny fluid. I went with my instinct and added another 6 quarts.

Replies8
  1. #1mitch5042010-11-17 03:04

    How old is it? How long have you had it? Did you see a leak? If you have had it any time and don't see a leak, it's probably not that low. usually would make noise if that low. Overfilling can lead to cavitation due to aereation.

  2. #2RonG2010-11-17 03:59

    I have often seen the parameters for checking the level stamped on the dipstick. Most machines also have a lube chart on it someplace,inside of a door panel etc which should clear it up for you.I have seen them both ways,running and shut off but the transmission is usually checked running.Ron G

  3. #3RocksnRoses2010-11-17 05:28

    From my experience, any transmission that has to be checked with the engine running usually shows that it is way over full with the engine stopped, because the oil being pumped around the torque convertor and transmission drains back to the bottom. I do not know anything about Terex skip loaders, but if the dip stick is towards the bottom of the transmission, I'm tipping that if the oil level is showing low with the engine stopped, it is exactly that, low. RnR.

  4. #4mitch5042010-11-17 11:29

    Hey Rocks, that was my first thought, too. But this is not a large machine, it is backhoe size. For something that size to be 1.5 gallons low with no symptoms would be suprising. Then, I thought the dipstick must not be in the bottom sump for it to be showing full running, and extremely low stopped. That would mean oil left the trans. and convertor when you started it, and fell into the sump, possible, but I've never seen it. This one left a lot of questions in my mind so I asked them. I hope a Terex guy will chime in. Now that I think of it I know a mech. for a construction Co. that has a couple of Terex backhoes; I'll ask him. P.S. I did consider that in YOUR experience the sump is really on the top, but your gravity comes from the top, too. G'day,mate.

  5. #5RocksnRoses2010-11-17 16:27

    G'day mitch. If you do find out where the oil is checked, let us know, I'm just quoting my experience with larger wheel loaders, maybe Terex do have a different sump set up. RnR.

  6. #6westladog2010-11-17 16:44

    Well, I called a local Terex dealer and the nice gentleman told me that the engine should be running. Ouch! Well, there are 5-6 extra quarts in there but he said "it don't hurt it. The only time you will feel it is if the tractor is working on steep slope. Nope, it don't hurt it." I'm a little nervous at the thought of an extra 6 quarts in the system. I think I'm going to take out 4 quarts just to be safe. Any thoughts guys?

  7. #7mitch5042010-11-17 23:37

    I would take out the extra, because on some systems the parts turning in the oil will cause air to be mixed in with the oil, and can cause slippage or overheating under heavy work.

  8. #8RocksnRoses2010-11-18 05:13

    Well there you go, shows how much I know. You were right mitch. I would probably take the extra oil out. RnR.