Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Checking Fluid Level in Dozer Power Shift Transmission

IanKett ยท 2012-06-05 04:45

This post, my first by the way, could probably be in a number of categories, but as it involves a Massey Ferguson MF300 dozer, here it is! Although I have owned this machine for quite a number of years I have used it little, but always been unsure about the level of the fluid in the power shift transmission. It has a dip stick in the top of the trans, which if checked with the engine NOT running shows the fluid level at the Full mark. However having started the engine, running it for a minute or two and rechecking there is NO fluid on the stick at all!!! Now the machine drives ok, but I have done very little heavy work with it, and have noticed that it appears to "stall" (ie cease driving) under what I would consider to be only moderate loads. My basic, pretty dopey question is - under what conditions should I dip the trans fluid level? This question presumeably would apply to just about any power shift (??) but as I have no other experience with such transmissions, I could do with some help. Any assistance would be appreciated. Regards, IanKett

Replies10
  1. #1g_man2012-06-05 13:33

    My 70 hp Dresser TD7G has a power shift transmission. The tank holds about 18 gallons. It must have a different setup than yours because my transmission dip stick reads about the same weather it is running or stopped. Sounds like you may need more oil or it is getting trapped somewhere. Have you checked the filters and screens or transmission pressure? Hopefully someone who nows ** can help you.

  2. #2IanKett2012-06-05 20:17

    Hi g_man, Thanks for the reply. It is interesting to hear about your Dresser, and how different your trans dips. I believe the "service capacity" of my trans is 26 Litres (about 6.8 US Gals if my conversion table is correct), but short of draining the transmission, I don't know how much is in it at present. Further, if these trans are anything like a car auto, when you drain them some fluid remains in the torque converter, so would I really be any the wiser? I have replaced the filters, am not aware of any "screens", and have not been able to check the transmission pressure, other than looking at the "built in" gauge in the dash. I have observed that it appears to read very low in terms of the needle going to only about 20% of full scale ( ie about 70 - 75 psi in a full scale calibration of 300 psi). Does that sound too low to you?? Regards, IanKett

  3. #3g_man2012-06-05 20:55

    On mine the OK range runs 230 psi to 280 psi with 255 psi at mid scale but it is a different machine. Although 75 sounds low to me I don't have a clue if it actually is.

  4. #4rk668ak2012-06-05 22:59

    On most equipment that I run they say in the service manuals to check at operating temperature running or half way thru the day. Most manuels will tell you the amount if you can find one.

  5. #5IanKett2012-06-05 23:08

    Hi again g_man, Thanks for those pressure readings. They prompted me to dig a bit further through some documentation I have, which I believe indicates that my dash panel gauge pressure readings (for the "Power Shift") should ideally be around 155 psi. That figure seems to me more likely to pass the expected "sniff" test?? So .. .. .. if that is correct, the low reading could be due to low fluid level? Then again it could be due to plenty of other "nasties"? Hopefully, someone may be able to throw further light on my problem of the correct conditions for dipping the trans fluid level. Cheers, IanKett

  6. #6IanKett2012-06-10 03:36

    ** 300 photos (Oh! mostly!!) Hi Guys, Here are a couple of photos of the afore-mentioned ** 300. [I am using this post to test my ability to attach photos.] IanKett

  7. #7RDG2012-06-10 18:23

    Just a point of interest both your tracks are on backwards, turn them round or u will chew out ur sprockets and bushes real quick, the grouser bar should be at the back of the shoe when its on the ground. Cheers RDG.

  8. #8IanKett2012-06-10 19:33

    Wow! Thank you RDG. I certainly am a novice!! They must have always been like that since I've owned it. Just as well I have not used it very much. I actually have had the tracks off a few years ago to repair one of the idlers, and replace both sides of the third axle bushes. That was done by me with (alot of ) help from a "mobile mechanic" whom I did gain much respect for, however he obviously didn't pick the problem up. In fact we simply lifted the machine a little, opened the tracks and rolled them out on the ground, and left them where they were. Thank you again for your advice. Regards, IanKett.

  9. #9dodgent2020-09-26 13:45

    Jo

  10. #10dodgent2020-09-26 13:48

    Good afternoon, was just curious if you solved where you check your trans level. I just bought a 300 and it needs fluid but dont know where to check the level Thanks