A question for the group. The bucket blew off of my stack and I am afraid that some rain probably got in. This is a 350 Case dozer with a 188 motor I believe. The outlet pipe is cut at a slight angle, but still facing up for the most part. We only got about 1 inch of rain. I was not there when it happened so not sure how fast it came down or what. My question is what should I do. Do I need to try and investigate before I start it and if so, what is the best way to do that. Any suggestions would be appreciated. It may be awhile before I can get a chance to go back and do anything. Thanks in advance
Turn the motor over two complete revs by hand (or bar if that's easier). Then if you want to be real cautious crank it for ten seconds with the fuel shut off before turning the injection pump on. The sooner the better obviously.
...and might have a little water in the crankcase that went past the rings. Wouldn't hurt to unscrew the plug and see if any comes out before the oil does, as it'll sit on the bottom of the pan. Do this before turning engine over.
Might be worth the $6 for a flapper instead of a bucket.
Yair . . . I find it disconcerting these days that (for the most part) you can't easily wind machines over with fuel "off" . . . one time it was almost a sackable offence to fire something off without checking for hydraulicing. Cheers.
Unless this is non factory straight pipe,then maybe water,but if factory, then check the muffler if it has one, to see if there is a weep hole where the water will drain out.Age of machine might not have this option. Lots of new equipment is sit up this way.Nearly all them now has the 45 degree cut off stack with the weep holes in the muffler.Good luck
You should do like Delmer said in post #2. BUT, if you feel resistance other than compression you really should remove all of the fuel injectors (unless it is a gasoline engine) before putting any serious force on the bar. If you remove the starter and pry on the flywheel teeth, be very careful that you don't chip or break one of them.
I don't what the temperature is there, i have seen bent valves from ice in cylinders from guys "bumping" the starter.
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I agree with getting the flapper. Still having a little problem getting pics loaded, but there is blanked off flange at the other end of the exhaust manifold that points down and is a little lower than the rest of the manifold. I was thinking of removing the blank off plate to see if there is any water there. I will definitely go ahead and roll the engine over by hand before I try to start. If I find water, I will be back. Thanks again.