Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dozer trivia. Let’s have some fun

Shawnjohn16 ยท 2013-12-05 21:29

So. I have a new to me dozer. I have to get parts for it. But the problem is I'm not sure what make it is. It does however have a plate. It has a straight 6 GM and GM tranny from a deuce n a half. Thing runs great! It simply says Government DU QUEBEC SERIAL P32154 Hours of due diligence has given me nothing. Any help or ideas??

Replies25
  1. #1Huntoon2013-12-06 02:57

    Sorta reminds me of a Sweco trail dozer. http://www.swecoproducts.com/products/trail-equipment/

  2. #2ih1002013-12-06 07:48

    Got me. Looks like international frames and idler, but the sprocket doesn't look IH.

  3. #3wilko2013-12-06 09:34

    I'm thinking that it's own mother wouldn't recognize it at this point.

  4. #4Shawnjohn162013-12-06 10:32

    Sweet. Pretty sure it's hodgepodge Franken dozer. Maybe I can just figure on getting parts and modifying them. I need idler. Bottom rollers. The clutches are bad. N that's about it.

  5. #5Scrub Puller2013-12-06 13:59

    Yair . . . Huntoon . Interesting. Never heard of Sweco. It looks like they have done a bit of thinking outside the square. The operator is positioned pretty much on the fore/aft centre point of the track frame for best ride . . . they are obviously hydrostatic. Are there many around and, what is the application that would drive a company to develop a machine specifically as a "trail dozer"? To me it looks ideal for general work on a farm or station . . . sort of somewhere between a dozer and a CTL with proper tracks, depends of course on price and dealer support. Cheers.

  6. #6alrman2013-12-06 16:12

    That machine just doesn't look big enough to run a 6cyl GM & the size of the fuel tank would only allow it to run for an hour or two.......... Anything that did run a 6cyl detroit would usually look 2-3 times bigger! From the picture angle, there is hardly enough bonnet space for an exhaust - not counting an intake. Barely has a chassis to deal with the torque that would be produced. Front idlers look like something of a 60's vintage as well. Any more pictures Shawnjohn16? More engine & transmission detail please.

  7. #7DMiller2013-12-06 16:31

    Running gear looks more to be Allis, HD4 size, the grill guard has similarity there too, the rest of it appears home made.

  8. #8DMiller2013-12-06 16:40

    Running gear is a match. Grill guard is older style, engine and trans have to be a transplant.

  9. #9buckfever2013-12-06 17:10

    I could be wrong but when Shawn posted it having a strait 6GM i was thinking a six cylinder gas motor:beatsme

  10. #10Scrub Puller2013-12-06 17:12

    Yair . . . alrman . That was my initial thought exactly . . . and then I realised the folks in the 'States use "GM" in a different context. The poster probably means the thing is running a Chevy six like in a Blitz or early Tojo . . . that language thing again. (he grins) Cheers.

  11. #11wilko2013-12-06 18:43

    At a guess, government agencies and people who contract with government agencies.

  12. #12Scrub Puller2013-12-06 18:56

    Yair . . . Gotcha wilko . Seems like a lot of development money to come up with a product for a limited market. It appeals to me because I like "different" concepts . . . not necessarily a trait of "government agencies" who you'd think would be more comfortable with some thing "conventional" like a little Cat or Deere. Cheers.

  13. #13old12013-12-06 19:47

    GM 6 cylinder engine, Deuce and a half. Yes, I took the first post from Shawnjohn16; to be the General Motors 269 (270) cu in, gas engine used in the CCKW and later M135 2 1/2 ton trucks. It was also used in the DUKW, Amphibious vehicle, and We had the engine, in a M59 Tracked Carrier, which had two (2)engines, one on each side of the carrier. There had to be, I don't know, millions of the M135 trucks and variants. Probably built up until about 1960's. But the National Guard used those trucks until the late 60's. In the M135 it was mated to a GM Hydro-Matic transmission, with a dual range, High/Low. Anybody could drive a M135, No Clutch. They were tough engines and tough transmissions; just mash the gas and hang on for the harsh shifting. I drove these and worked on them. Engine and transmission failures were almost unheard of. We always had ignition trouble, (points, coils), and carburetor troubles. I suppose the carb problems were from the trucks setting around a lot, and water in the gas. That M59 carrier was a hoot. We had to synchronize the 2 engines, oh my God. With all the Military surplus engines; who knows where these things went. I saw warehouses full of new engine, transmissions, in the late 60's. old1 Shawnjohn16, didn't really say what kind of transmission the crawler had.

  14. #14Shawnjohn162013-12-06 20:57

    I will get more pics and info. But so far the info you guys have given is great. The tranny is a 2 speed hydro with reverse. It does indeed have a large engine the picture angle makes it look smaller under the hood. The gas tank is to the left of the driver and the hydraulics to the right. Gas tank is actually quite large compared to what the picture would imply. Thank you do much do far. I will get the serial numbers from the engine tranny.

  15. #15Shawnjohn162013-12-06 21:01

    It does appear to be the 270 though. Straight 6 gas engine.

  16. #16Shawnjohn162013-12-06 21:09

    Another angle from my photo album.

  17. #17Puffie402013-12-08 19:52

    Undercarriage and chassis looks similar to a Case 450b/c. The inside-mounted c-frame seems to match. Get some measurements of the undercarriage - Not sure about Case, but Cat, IH and John Deere tended to use slightly different dimensions to prevent brand mixing. the chain pitch and width might give us some hints on the manufacturer and range of models.

  18. #18Puffie402013-12-08 20:18

    looking at it some more, it might be closer to a early John Deere 350 or 450 - the idler axle and carrier roller positions look like a better match. the track frames have a piece of reinforcing iron welded to them. I wonder if it was salvaged after a tree landed on it or some other nasty disaster.

  19. #19DMiller2013-12-08 20:28

    I still say HD4 Allis undercarriage One in the game does not have any lower rollers.

  20. #20Shawnjohn162013-12-08 21:40

    DMiller I think your spot on. The rollers where removed on my dozer by the previous owner as they were seized. I have some serial numbers for the engine. 292 in line 6 Intake GM7 3859381 Block GM 3851659 63-76 years. This thing is a true Canadian frankenstein. Lol.

  21. #21DMiller2013-12-10 06:31

    Look dash area, does it look as if there may have been a radiator mounted there, the HD4 had the radiator behind the engine not in the grill. Blade mounts and angle cylinders look same as the HD4 too. The HD4 S/N was stamped in the frame at the front around the grill guard mount area but I have not seen one to know exactly where. The rest is all transplant.

  22. #22wilko2013-12-11 21:45

    Looked up the specs on the Sweco. It's a different concept alright. Weighs 9000 lbs and is only 4 feet wide. One of the bigger skidsteers would take it's lunch money and give it wedgie. Would be handy for trail building and maintenance though, which works out okay since that's what they push it for.

  23. #23Scrub Puller2013-12-12 01:08

    Yair . . . wilko . Didn't notice the four foot wide spec. (he grins). With a hundred odd hp and four tons it should be a responsive little bugger . . . I'd like to take one for a twist. Cheers.

  24. #24Cam852014-01-01 02:44

    The running gear might b out of a bread gun carrier looks like it war bread out of a Allison or international I find it interesting ill b keeping an eye on this post u need someone older than me 2 help but there is my 2cence worth anyway

  25. #25Shawnjohn162014-01-02 15:38

    Apparently there is a third generation bulldozer specialist here in NH where I'm building and using this dozer who I'm told will have lots of info for me. Three different old timers have said its "right up his alley". Lol. Updates to come