Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

checking oil level on swing motor

dan7 ยท 2014-10-27 19:11

I have a 490 and there is no dip stick to check oil level on the swing motor. It's a 1987. Any ideas?

Replies10
  1. #1lantraxco2014-10-27 21:52

    Dipstick is # 13, Early style: And Late style: Pictures suck, #13 looks like a bolt in the second one, maybe it is?

  2. #2dan72014-10-28 09:56

    can you post the parts list. I just never saw an excavator without a dipstick on the swing motor.

  3. #3lantraxco2014-10-28 13:10

    So, do you have the late style swing gear then? 9734 and up? I think it's that nubbin in front of the motor foot:

  4. #4dan72014-10-28 16:14

    YES. that's it thank you. I called a dealer and he could not tell me. I don't no about that number but serial no is ck490s011948. there are two drain plugs on bottom. one big one small. do you no which one it is. thank you.

  5. #5dan72014-10-28 16:42

    also #13 says level gauge. that is not on drawing. is there another drawing. thanks.

  6. #6lantraxco2014-10-28 16:57

    Sorry for the confusion, that parts list goes with this drawing, the big plug would be the drain:

  7. #7dan72014-10-28 19:27

    Which big plug. What number? Thank you. You have been great help.

  8. #8lantraxco2014-10-28 23:04

    Stupid drawing is sideways, why don't they draw it the way it bolts in? Oh well.... #7 is the drain plug, looks like #11 should be the oil level check plug, it kinda lines up with #13 which is supposed to be a dispstick?

  9. #9dan72014-10-29 09:03

    got it. thank you

  10. #10lantraxco2014-10-29 13:09

    Cheers :drinkup