I am wanting to know if I could swap out a 6D95l out of a pc120-3 1988 excavator to a cummins 5.9. The engines look very similar and I can get a cummins considerately cheaper than a komatsu.
6D102 is the Komatsu version of the Cummins 6BT 5.9 That being said, you can probably do anything with a torch, welder, and hammer.
As I recall the Dash 3 has a cable actuated engine throttle control with a hydraulic auto decel function. You can run without the decel function easy enough. This model only has a singel engine and pump control computer if it has three modes. They went to four cylinder engines in Dash 5 machines. The engine mounts, pump height in the frame and radiator and hydraulic cooler heights will have to be accounted for. I'm thinking it shouldn't be that hard to do. It might be worth putting that kind of money in if the hydraulic motors and pumps are not too old.