Earlier this week we noticed that our 1984 JD 644c was slow to move forward/back when it was very cold. We had also replaced a line recently and thought we may have had cold fluid, as well as low fluid. This may be a stupid question, but should we be checking the transmission fluid while the machine is warm and running or should we check it cold while it is not running? I am used to trucks where we check the fluid while running and at operating temp. Just want to get an accurate reading. Thanks in advance!
Hello, guess the t/m is a ZF type 4 WG xxx with torque converter. These types of transmissions need low idle speed for oil level check. There are usually 3 marks on dipstick. The lowest cold, then hot min and max. With some oil on dipstick at cold you can run the transmission, adjust oil level when hot. This kind of drives will operate slow and sluggish at low temps due to high friction torque in axles etc. br Bigbert
Hey Bigbert, Thanks for the info. I think my dipstick just has two dots on it. There is no specifc range...i guess somewhere in between. I am glad to know that I should check the fluid while it is warm. I will probably have to add some more. Chris