I have a dresser 530. It's just now started to not want to move forward or reverse .the top driveshaft I assume is the input for trans is not turning just creeps and you can stop it with your hand I cleaned both suction screens and changed filter in the can. Still same problem. You can fool with it and finally get it to go and when it starts moving as long as you are using it it's fine but if you stop for any amount of time it won't move again. I checked all hoses for sucking air all look good. I broke the hose loose where it attaches to the trans on top and not much fluid comes out no pressure at all. I also took loose on the square block on bellhousing and it blew air out and foamy oil continuously but again didn't seem have any pressure behind it . This is the line coming from the filter. Any ideas? Charge pump/torque converter?
Foaming oil..... bad intake on the pump or low fluid level
What you mean bad intake on pump? Like its sucking air from suction side ? I've checked the suction side of the pump and all looks good. Fluid is full . Would it foam if the pump was weak or seals possibly
It's getting air in somewhere.
Any ideas Where it could get in? It has to enter system on the intake/suction side I'm assuming . Only place I've not checked is the front of the pump
Some pumps will suck air at the front seal, but I have no idea what kind of pump you have.
Likely cause is pump shaft seal, probably a groove warn in shaft where seal runs.
Kind of sounds like there is no torque converter charge pressure. Torque converter is mounted on the back of the engine. Drive line comes out of it and goes to the input of the transmission. It should spin free when the transmission is out of gear. It should stop turning when the transmission is in gear. You need to check pump pressures that feed the transmission to be able to go any further in troubleshooting.
Yes the driveline coming out of the tc to the input of transmission is not turning when in neutral. I have to find some fitting to check pressure but I know there's none there I cracked the line goin to the trans and it just trickles out foamy oil and blows burst of air .the line going to the torque converter does the same thing
Correct me if I'm wrong but the charge pump is located directly under the driveshaft coming out of the torque converter right ? It has two suction hoses coming from bottom of trans and two pressure hoses one going to top of transmission and one going to the filter then to the torque converter.
The foaming oil is the problem. While you can spend time checking pressures to me that is a waste of time as you know the pressure is bad. Need to find where the air is getting in the system. First thing would be low oil level in transmission. That should be a simple check with sight gauge or maybe dipstick. Next would be a cracked suction hose between the pump and the transmission, if crack was above the level of the oil in transmission you would not see oil leaking out. If the suction hoses are clean and easy to get to a crude way to test for a suction leak could be a simple as wrapping nice and tight with good old Duct Tape. This is only a test and NOT a repair so don't think I'm suggesting that! Next thing I might want to do is drain oil out of transmission and remove suction lines as I'm assuming from all the bigger Dresser/Houghs I've dealt with there more than likely screens on the inside of the case where the suction hose connect. Plugged screen could be the problem. Probably the last thing on my list would be to remove and disassemble the pump. I tend to lean towards checking the low cost things first working up to the big ticket items.
Oil level is good I already put new oil in it and cleaned the screens which were not bad at all. is a rebuild kit available for this pump only numbers I can find are 43997-15 and j86F under that. I taped the lines yesterday thinking along same line as you and still same thing I removed pump this morning
You need a book or someone to identify what the parts are on your machine. The were no test fittings installed on those machines from the factory. There were only pipe plugs or o ring plugs that you removed and installed the test fittings in. Those machines generally had at least four pumps installed. A transmission pump, main hydraulic pump, pilot pump and a switch pump that supplied steering first and then shifted to main hydraulic flow once steering was satisfied. From your posts you apparently don't know what you have. Some photos of the area where the pumps are mounted would be helpful.
I see 3 pumps ones hydraulics one steering and the one I removed is the transmission pump. That's the problem I can't find any info about the machine or a service/shop manual. That's why I'm posting here for help without the info I'm making mechanical guesses . I can get photos later today
This may help, Drive line hydraulic flow chart. Hope attachment comes out.
Thanks
Looking at the picture bwmwaima posted. Would I be right to think that the two pumps marked #1 are really one two section pump? Line #3 goes to one pump then the output #5 goes to what appears to be a valve of some kind of the lube system. If so I don't think that would be your problem right now. Line #2 to the other pump(section) would be the one I would check very close for any cracks causing a suction leak. If that looks perfect I would then be looking very close at that pump(section) for bad seals, worn parts and such. I'd look very close at the gears, shaft and side plates for the gears. If you could post a picture of the pump assembled or disassembled might give a little better idea of what it is. Have not worked on a Dresser in years but they are now part of Komatsu so I would be making a call monday to the nearest dealer to you to see about parts availability. One more thing I was thinking about, does the transmission have a breather on it that could be plugged? This could cause a problem similar to this. One more question you said you had changed the oil and had the strainers out, was the problem there before this was done?
One pump is for main pressure while the other is the scavenge pump from the bottom of the converter and provides lube pressure to the transmission bearings. The photo will help a lot in bringing back some memories.
An exploded view of charge pump. I think oil seal ( 2 on drawing ) is problem, I know it is on my 530, oil a little heavy in transmission and first start on a cold day it sucks air, fine when oil warmed up or a warm day. Can be checked by pulling pump and packing around seal and shaft with heavy grease to provide temporary seal then run to see if improved.
Yes the problem was there before I changed oil and pulled the strainers . I thought a clogged screen would do it but they looked fine. You are correct about the pump it is a single pump but two sections. The trans does have a breather I will check that next . I have not disassembled pump yet trying to find out the availability of parts first. So I need call komatsu dealer ?
I have a picture of the pump but can't seem to figure out how to post it. It has a suction on one side pump and pressure on the other side.Then the other section is mounted on the nose of the pump which has a suction and pressure . It has 2 orings there I suspect may be problem they are hard as a rock thinking about changing those and remounting pump see if it fixes it .
I'll try to explain that much. First save the picture to some place easy to find it on your computer, I use Desktop. At the top of the box where you enter the text for your message there is a row of icons at the top the second from the right, circled in red here: Click on that icon and a box should open up at the top of that there are two tabs. one says "from computer" the other "from url" click on the "from computer" tab. New box should show up at the bottom of that one is a box "Select Files" click on that and it will take you to what I call "file manager" on you computer where you can locate your file with the picture. Click on the file name and it should show up in the box(the name, not the picture itself). Now at the bottom of the box it should say "Upload Files" click on that. Now in the text box where you were typing the message you wanted to attach a picture to you should see something that looks like "{attach]192818[/attach**" that is you picture you will not actually see it till you click on the "post quick reply" to post the message. Sounds very complicated but do it a few times and it is very fast and easy. Just a note, when I first tried to post this It came through a little off as when I used the [ at the start and then the ] at the end of the description of what you see the forum got confused so I changed them to ** and **. I'll see if this works better. Well that did not work either but hope it still makes sense!
Pretty sure your right the seal is broke loose from metal of the seal. I poured oil on end of shaft and it leaked through where can I source this seal at?
Hard to tell from the parts break-down, is this a "normal" lip type oil seal? Like a wheel seal in a car rear axle? If it is any good bearing supply house could probably match it up. Just need to know the shaft diameter, bore in housing diameter and seal width. Any numbers actually on the seal? How about a picture of the seal? As for the "O" rings any good heavy equipment dealer, construction, large trucks or farm equipment, should be able to match them up or just look in local phone book yellow pages for a place that works on hydraulics. My first two choices would be local Komatsu or Cat dealers.
No it's not a lip type seal. It's more solid throughout. No numbers on it I've got it popped out headed to the hydraulic pump shop down the road hopefully they can fix me up.
Ok so I got it fixed . It was the seal everyone was talking about. This should help anyone else who's having the same problem the pump shaft seal is a CR8624 cost me $6 at a hydraulic pump shop. My side plates were wore a little but I figured it should hold up for a good bit longer. Thank you guys for all the help diagrams and explanations. I will be back I'm sure
Sorry to revive this thread. Looking for a Little help on the transmission's Electrical Schematic for a Dresser 530 from 1987, seems like a Mc Gyver was trying to fix a selenoid problem and had change/suspend sensors and wires. I would love to have the machine on its original electrical state to start troubleshooting for mechanical if any. As for now 530 is not moving at all niether forward either reverse. Thanks in advance for any info.
Hey guys I have a customer that bought a 1979 dresser 550 rubber tire wheel loader. It's been sitting for 20 years. It has multiple issues due to years of neglect and sitting in the elements. I cleaned and drained the entire fuel system and currently have it started and running. No problem there. But when I try and move it, it will barley try to move and sounds and feels like a transmission that's slipping in a car. I've looked all over it and don't know much about it. Been trying to find more information and manuals for it. I've read multiple forums and have an idea as far as the pick up screens being clogged up. I filled it up with hydraulic oil in the huge reservoir on top in the center. Please any help or ideas and tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
First thing I would do is watch the driveshaft from the converter to the transmission. With engine running and in neutral it should be spinning pretty good. Then as soon as you shift transmission into gear it should stop pretty fast. This is assuming you are not holding the brakes on as if you hit the left brake peddle the transmission will go in to neutral and shaft will spin. I'm assuming you have checked the oil level in the transmission. Been many years since I was near one but seems there is either a dipstick in the filler pipe to the left of the transmission or possible a sight gauge on the front side of the transmission case. Just curious does this 550 have a V-8 IH engine or maybe a Cummins inline six? Six or more years ago I probably could have laid hands on a manual at the shop before I retired. Best I could find online is this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/163104636365?hash=item25f9cb3dcd:g:kBkAAOSw30JbKCWC&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAsJRDuebRnuNpUfKd+KRzmvaj3FPEZoctZsRz1f4KlKBxA74qf7XH1LHCLVzKbi7Oo/GB+VLer1RCSHE5DPG9x6HxcXGX+EDCGYecSKKpD3eBBo5/uD7GWmeBHezY0z2S83OuUmtafZcgSxonyNET7LWlPuYevcgsS+yXxYsnT/xDBFNYyD+rNrhwyKh5NU7orjufh+ow9tORce+Hnmjdrw9ziZOnNgNRwfrClujJTDDL|tkp:Bk9SR6bPj-73YA Also might be best if you were to start a new thread with the model number and any other information so as to not get lost in this thread about a 530 .