Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Chinese engines/machines

pachhh34 ยท 2016-10-21 07:17

Hi , What I came up to is a chinese brand called Liu Gong that are with Chinese engines of course and some of them use Cummins.What else I saw is that Yu Tong produces construction machinery (quite surprised). What I am curious about is what experience have you had with chinese engines and how are they compared to Cummins or CAT for example .Are they as bad as they people assume as for any chinese production. P.S. Question comes from Eastern Europe .Machines used here are different and Chinese and Turkish brands are well sold here because of their price. What I assume is by looking at this forum is that chinese brands dont reach US especially in construction machinery.

Replies14
  1. #1Birken Vogt2016-10-21 07:41

    I would say the answer is unknown. Cat owns Perkins who has a joint venture with Shibaura who makes engines in Wuxi, Jiangsu, China and they don't try to hide it. They seem to hold up fine. It is all in the factory and quality control and also spare parts availability and service knowledge.

  2. #2pachhh342016-10-21 07:54

    So majority of these "chinese engines" are made under the cap of CAT and others. I have also read somewhere here about some of the CAT machines are made in China too. I think it was D320

  3. #3Birken Vogt2016-10-21 09:36

    I do not think the majority are made by Cat or anyone reputable. Just that some of them are. They can be good or bad.

  4. #4Delmer2016-10-21 12:15

    Most big american manufacturers have stuff made in China. The good ones have their people in the Chinese factories and know how to monitor and maintain the quality to their standards. Chinese stuff is everywhere in the USA. The mini tractors are popular and some people like them, some people hate them. I HAVEN'T seen wheel loaders or excavators, there's plenty of used excavators around if someone is looking to get started with something cheap, and nobody would trust something as complex as an excavator made in China with the high cost of skilled mechanics, poor parts availability etc. A 5HP air cooled gas engine for $100. That's a common choice for something not critical. A Chinese excavator in the USA, I think we're still a long way from that. Japan made that transition in a short time, China has a bigger relative domestic market, so they can continue to profitably manufacture junk for decades and not have to rise to export quality standards like Japan did.

  5. #5excavator2016-10-21 20:18

    I have a customer who has a Yuchai mini excavator built in China. There was a dealer selling them for awhile with no support and then they dropped the line. It has a B series Cummins and most of the hydraulic components are common brand name stuff. That being said, I don't know if they are readily available. But it has numerous electrical issues and those components are not readily available. I had to buy a 12 volt battery relay off E-Bay and hope it's the same. Now I'm looking for rocker switches, shouldn't be a problem except they are about 1/8th of an inch larger all around. Will also need to replace the fuse panel soon. Keeps life interesting, they appear to save money on the purchase but it always ends up costing more. There was also a Chinese "CAT" wheel loader in the county for awhile, it had a small 6 cylinder engine in it which they blew up. Last I heard they were trying to put a Mack engine in it.

  6. #6td25c2016-10-21 21:51

    No experience with Chinese equipment but sure like the looks of the SHANTUI dozers . Looks like a simple dozer with open station ROPS built rite out of 1970's technology. http://en.shantui.com/product/8156.htm Also like the Big Cam Cummins engine in them . Nothin wrong with that . Can see it on this SD 32 . http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/9079565/2008-shantui-sd32

  7. #7Tones2016-10-22 00:27

    I operated a Liu Gong excavator a good few years ago. It was a fairly reliable machine but didn't have the digging power of others of that size with a heap more hours on them. Some of the engineering is crap with bushes spinning in the boom and dipper arm and the paint was thrown at it in a strong wind. At that time the owner said "new it was half the price of a Hitachi with 12000 hrs and 12months warrinty" so it wasn't a big gamble to buy.

  8. #8Birken Vogt2016-10-22 11:33

    Why do Australians have the ability to come up with such amazing phrases like this. It is all over the site, I get a laugh every day.

  9. #9RZucker2016-10-22 12:35

    The SD 32 appears to have more Komatsu influence than Caterpillar. Especially the ripper construction.

  10. #10Shimmy12016-10-22 12:43

    Looks like a Komatsu knockoff. A D68E or P with an 855 would be pretty much same machine I'd bet.

  11. #11pachhh342016-10-22 16:50

    Above Delmer said that probably big manufacturers have a good observation on the production in China and here is given an example of the CAT wheel loader with a small CAT engine made in China.Also about that D 320 dozer it was stated as a precaution as it is not as good as an usual CAT so probably there is some difference as people are still suspicious to big brands manufactured in China. About the Liu Gong Yuchai and Yu tong etc. the choice there as stated here it is half price and good warranty so here the choice might be 50/50.

  12. #12Brodiesel2016-10-27 16:48

    HAhaha, thats pretty funny.

  13. #132machine2016-10-27 20:10

    As a Chinese I'm very to say "not yet sir" There are certain products that are more reliable than others, like dozers from Shantui has the technology from Komatsu so they are fairly ok. Truck Cranes from XCMG and Sany are ok. But you know, every brand tries to build everything and there are many chaos. However, you may look into other things not so complex, for example attachments like long boom, rippers, shell kits, blades, shanks, etc. No so complex but much cheaper. And if you find a good responsible supplier you may save quite some money. Most of these things are already made in China anyway. (I mean made in China factory and supplied to CAT and others) I am myself a manufacture of attachments so I shall stop talking myself good any more. haha:notworthy

  14. #14Delmer2016-10-27 23:36

    Straight from the horse's mouth! Thanks for your comments.