Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Chinese Equipment Scan Tools

Birken Vogt · 2023-02-01 09:01

I just discovered that these things exist on Amazon and Ebay. Looks too good to be true but the price is right, might want to try them. Just wondering if anybody has any suggestions or experience. I work on Deere, Cummins, Isuzu, Kubota, and Caterpillar stuff, in that order. All what they call "OEM" generator drive engines. Mostly need it for pulling codes and verifying that trouble is not brewing when doing PM work. The Ancel one does not seem to list Cummins prominently except the one I will link. The Nexas one is suspiciously cheap but some truckers are using them. https://www.ebay.com/itm/144600910800 https://www.ebay.com/itm/124512490414

Replies17
  1. #1AllDodge2023-02-01 12:17

    Looks to me like the standard OBD2 scanner. Don't know how good they would be at providing info on off road equipment

  2. #2Tyler d4c2023-02-01 12:19

    The boss has one called a Cando came from the local napa works fine on trucks but with a cat Machine all it says is has codes won't tell what they are

  3. #3treemuncher2023-02-01 13:14

    I have a unit that I purchased on Aliexpress about 7-8 years ago. It came with Cummins Insite? software that was unlocked and did not require a subscription. I had pretty much full control over most everything on the engine ecm if I wanted to change anything. I purchased it to trace a recurrent fuel injection error code, which it did. It was well worth the $600 that I paid for it in order to trace and solve my problem. I went to use it again last year but now I can't find the software that I had so I'm thinking of ordering another kit if I feel the need. It just seems like a waste to order another whole kit just to get the software that I need. As a note, I've ordered a number of heavy equipment parts from Aliexpress with really good results. It's my place to go for my 6 series PC200 for genuine parts at super reasonable prices. I think my best buy was an 88 pin Komatsu LCD display for $53 shipped. Komatsu wanted to sell me a new/rebuilt display unit for about $2500 and they would not cover it even though it was originally a recalled item - one that I was never notified about. It was a defective unit that the sunlight ate away the ability to display any of the matrix dots. One desoldering iron, some desoldering tape, a good soldering station, some fine solder and my time = saving over $2,300+

  4. #4Coaldust2023-02-01 13:44

    I purchased six or more of the truck scanners. I believe they were Naxas and another brand, but they were the same unit with different branding. In the $80 range. I sent them to the remote terminals. The terminal managers could read codes and give me a heads up before sending someone out to the bush.

  5. #5Birken Vogt2023-02-01 21:16

    I am finding an inline adapter and software in different places there today. Is that what you got only both in one package? Just install it on your laptop?

  6. #6treemuncher2023-02-01 23:19

    Yes sir. A set of cables for Cummins and an adapter cable to a middle box. I can post a pic of it tomorrow. I've also got some cables for JD and maybe some others. I originally had it on an old laptop running Windows 7 or 8 and it worked well.

  7. #7Birken Vogt2023-02-01 23:35

    I'm wondering if this is something I would want to install on my regular laptop. Or keep it separate. I don't see a combo package of hardware/software on there now. It is hard to understand exactly what is included, bad translation.

  8. #8treemuncher2023-02-02 14:46

    Here's what I have: I'm near certain that the JD connectors were given to me by a neighbor/mechanic. I don't think that I had access when I tried them but the Cummins stuff worked great for me. Look for a kit that has the unlock codes and full access software. I looked on Aliexpress and most of the kits are under $200 these days. I think that's pretty cheap! Just make sure that you have the right connectors to get the info into your laptop and you should be good to go.

  9. #9wlhequipment2023-02-02 15:03

    I bought a chinese Cat Comm2 for a customer with a Perkins and it works fine. I haven't needed to do any firmware changes or anything like that but it does regens, reads codes, resets oil timers, etc. Does everything I need it to do.

  10. #10wlhequipment2023-02-02 15:05

    I got a separate laptop, a used toughbook, and I don't use it for anything else but diag software. I didn't want any possibly malicious software on my "regular" computer.

  11. #11joe--h2023-02-03 11:12

    Wouldn't be hard to tuck in a bit of code that sends your info to China, although their weather balloon over Montana may be doing that now. Joe H

  12. #12Mobiltech2023-02-03 11:38

    I have the Mek tool version. Comes with the tough book laptop refurbished and software for most trucks and equipment. It has worked great for 4 years. It’s about 900 with laptop. I do cat software downloads with it as it has a dealer rated version of et and sis. Support has been great. It also has cat factory password generator which works good.

  13. #13Birken Vogt2023-02-03 12:05

    Mek tool looks like a good idea for my situation. But they want $1399 for the physical EDL v3. JD is my primary target here. There are super cheap v2 EDLs on Aliexpress. What is the diff between v2 and v3? Then possibly buy Cummins stuff on Aliexpress to make it a dual use laptop? I don't much care about Cat at the moment.

  14. #14Birken Vogt2023-02-07 23:57

    Bump, can anybody tell what the difference between EDL v2 and v3 is?

  15. #15mg23612023-02-08 04:51

    No difference for basic diagnostics. V3 has better bluetooth capabilities and is built more rugged. Deere will probably stop supporting V2 eventually, when??? Me, having access to both, I would go with V3, if you can get one. We have 6 on order for close to 7 months now. haven't seen them yet.

  16. #16Birken Vogt2023-02-08 09:54

    So, it's not like you have to have a V3 to work on anything built after 2017 or something like that?

  17. #17mg23612023-02-08 11:52

    V2 works on all current Deere's.