Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Choosing hydraulic breaker / hammer

andrewpond ยท 2013-03-14 19:35

Hey, I am considering upgrading my hydraulic hammer/breaker to match closer to my upgraded machine (bobcat e32 3.8ton) Currently have bobcat hb680/tramac sc16. List flow range is max 13gpm 2150psi and my machine put out 16.8gpm at 2950psi. I don't do tons of hrs (75-100hrs yr) but it just a speciality tool that leads to other work. Also looking chasing more concrete demo work. My motivation is questioning if I am damaging current hammer with too much flow and pressure?? It does a great job, just worried about wreaking it and then have huge repair? Any comments appreciated Renting is not favorite option as rental cost easily paid for this over last 7years If do replace any suggestion of brand and model/size? Thxs Andy

Replies3
  1. #1joispoi2013-03-16 10:44

    If you're only running 100 hrs/year, is the added cost of a new unit going to bring in more work and more money to justify the expense? You could adjust the pressure on you aux circuit and run at 80% throttle. It's not "by the book" but it's a low cost solution. If you keep running the one that you have, how much would it cost you to rebuild it, in the event that it wears out? What is the cost of a new breaker?

  2. #2andrewpond2013-03-16 21:59

    Thxs Joispoi. Current hammer has opened door to tons of excavation work. Smaller hammer chisel point break fairly often $500 plus down time and travel time, usually couple hrs to dealer for replacement. So answer yes easily cover its cost and brings more work that I am chasing more demolish work. Rebuild cost is a unknown. But might b a throw away ie cheaper to just replace. Called tramac factory rep Friday. Shawn was very helpful. Not as bad as I thought to over feed with extra gpm for concrete breaking, breaking hard rocks different story. I am doing more contract demolish bigger would be a lot faster. So pls keep give feedback I will keep researching options.

  3. #3andrewpond2013-03-16 22:11

    Getting some quotes, but approx $9 000 brand new to match my machine. And that is suppose to be a beast and hit really hard. Current hammer struggles with 10" plus concrete. I got good deal when I bought mine so after 8 years likely on lost a $1500 on the value of mine. Ie from what I paid to what I could sell for. So if that holds true on new one...most just " carrying cost", that maybe saved in not breaking larger chisel.