Looking for good ideas for gifts for my guys. Obviously I'm not going to buy them new pickups, or send them to the Caribbean, but want to get them something that they will appreciate. Not really setting a dollar amount, planning on doing better than a $50 cheese plate or $100 Texas Roadhouse gift card.
Don't get booze Boots, coats, and hoodies are always nice. Gift card to a meat market
Coat and hoodies are already planned. We are having a Christmas party with a good meal, and they are getting actual bonuses, I'm not talking $500. I'm just looking for ideas on gifts, something that shows we put a little more effort into it than picking up a pen and writing a check, or throwing down the credit card for another piece of plastic.
I don’t know how many employees you have but a nice personalized knife might be an idea? I have a personalized knife from a wedding that I carry every day.
Small tool sets of good quality always make appreciated gifts. A man can never have enough tools. I bought a bulk lot of tools at auction about 20 years ago, in the form of ring wrench sets from Taiwan, about 8 or 10 wrenches in a set, in a pouch. Some of them were set and ring sets. I made good money out of selling them on eBay and Gumtree over a number of years, and one local farmer buyer kept coming back. I eventually asked him why he kept buying the sets, thinking he was a pretty careless operator who lost a lot of tools regularly! But he simply explained he was buying them as gifts for employees at the end of seeding or harvest, where the employees had done good work, or gone beyond expectations. I'll wager he had some loyal employees.
Ammo
Flashlights of quality
Thru-night TN12 rechargeable pen light. Recharges by USB and lasts a long time on a charge. Has different settings for brightness, strobe light etc. I got one from my sister's fiance. It is super handy to have and incredibly bright on the highest setting, I think 1900 lumens. It's not a cheap pen light. I almost lost it off the dump truck but thankfully it rolled off the step on the fuel tank and got caught in the gap between the stap and thd tank. I can't say the same thing about the hammer and pair of pliers I accidently left on the step. I think they're buried under one of about a dozen loads of dirt.
The one tool that I carry every day is a Gerber Center Drive Multi-Tool. Lifetime warranty and I use it just about every day. I've carried one for well over 10 years and had about 2-3 warranty claims that give me a brand new unit. Its' better than any other multi-tool that I've ever tried. I would see that as a great, useful gift that would last a long time and show a good investment in your employees. Not a huge $ item but a useful one for someone that works with their hands. It will last longer than most pieces of clothing or other types of swag.
@Shimmy1 what did you pick for the guys?
Place I work for got us Yeti mugs/cups with the company name in em’. Use it every morning, keeps coffee hot a long time.
Get them all a nice huge room for the night and you supply all the alcohol. Make sure there is a strip club next door.
As an employer never supply or buy alcohol
Haven't decided yet.
We always have beer at the shop. I have heard numerous reasons for this, curious what yours is?
Man, it’s like waiting for Christmas over here! Keep us posted lol
You're in serious trouble if somewhere were to drive drunk and got in an accident. I worked at a place someone killed a person, in a company truck no less, and the company and was fined $50,000 I believe. It was after a Christmas party. New policy was no alcohol on site, ever! It made no difference it was a company truck. It came down to the company not being responsible. One way around it is to provide cabs for everyone to get home.
It's called "duty of care" in the legal world today. The same kind of "duty of care" responsibility applies to bartenders here, who continue to serve alcohol to patrons who are very obviously drunk. Our liquor laws state that liquor licence holders and their employees are not to serve alcohol to patrons who are drunk, or underage. It's called "responsible service of alcohol", and servers of alcohol who get people drunk, who then go out and kill someone, can be held jointly responsible for damages claims. As someone whose brother was killed at age 25 in the prime of his life by a drunk driving a truck who steered over to his side of the road and collided with his vehicle head-on, I fully agree with the current laws and the responsibility associated with serving alcohol. As it was, my brother was killed in 1964 and the laws were extremely lax back then, and the drunk in the truck didn't even get a fine, let alone a jail term for manslaughter.
Bartenders aren't supposed to over serve here too but the actual fact is they do all the time. They will claim they couldn't tell or the person didn't seem impaired etc. or maybe they had been drinking before they came to that bar and the bartender had no idea?? It's one of those things that has a bunch of loopholes. Just in the news a couple days ago a very related issue came up and sadly resulted in fatalities but not from drunk driving. There were 2 seperate incidents at the same bar but a year apart. Obviously drunk patrons were escorted out of the bar. They exited without incident but it was during the winter and both passed away from hypothermia. There needs to be something better. Bars shouldn't be able to just kick people out in the cold. Maybe they should have a seperate area for impaired patrons to stay until a cab, bus, friend or even the police came to take them home. Even getting thrown in the drunk tank would be better than freezing to death. Pretty sad because of some poor decisions and then no concern for their safety after you're the bar that was over serving them. I think they are looking at charges been brought to the bar though. There should be in my opinion.
I second the Customized knife idea
Now back to Shimmy's thread as I am looking for gifts for my guys as well. Usually I'll get them a nice 5th of reserve whiskey, something personal like a nice knife, some frivolous Milwaukee power tool we wouldn't normally buy and a little cash. In that past that's been Jack Daniels single barrel and a Benchmade pocket knife. Last year bought the Milwaukee flood light with magnet and the power inverter which both turned out to be fantastic. This year will be similar. Haven't decided on a whiskey vintage, thinking about a Benchmade auto and not decided on the power tool. Cash amount is private.
Elijah Craig small batch...
Cutting it kinda close if you want customized knives (pun intended). We farm the laser engraving out at the outdoor shop I work at. Usually it's about a week to get stuff back. This time of year is probably busier. We mostly do yeti cups, no knives yet but I imagine it's not much different Something like a CRKT squid in black plus laser engraving would be around $50. Knife Center has them priced just above wholesale: CRKT Squid They also have the Kershaw Cryo for not much more. It's assisted opening Kershaw Cryo Those were just the two I thought of that would have a decent area on the handle for engraving. Not sure how big your logo is We also sell Adler hatchets. If you really wanted something 'extra'... Adler Yankee Hatchet
Cheap insurance against liability. One could bring a suit against you with no merits and it will still cost you $25k
I don't get my guys any fancy gifts, but they all get a Christmas bonus. Bonus this year was around 2 1/2 weeks worth of regular wages. Everyone got the same amount. We've had a good year, and I couldn't do the work without my guys. I got burned out on Christmas "mandatory" parties with gifts/ bonus meal as a employee years ago, and I never cared for it, so I've never done a Christmas party or meal as a employer. I guess I don't like making the guys personal time a evening out with me. I take up enough of their time, the way it is. Years ago I sat at a Christmas party, where we all got our bonus in a envelope, and the bosses son told us "don't anyone open them here- and don't compare". Whatever. I popped my envelope open, and I don't know what the formula was for calculating the bonus, but mine was $35.21 or something. I was sitting beside a 20 year employee, and his was $12 more than mine. The guy was a great boss (except about the Christmas bonus), and we all were getting paid well working for him. I guess I would have just rather had the meal and a thank you, especially after I saw that 20 years- only got a extra $15 on his bonus.
Truthfully--just a good bonus in the form of check or cash is plenty for 99% of employees. Let them use it the way they want. Christmas party's are not always good ideas and can lead to a dreadful outcome {sometimes} when alcohol is involved.
I like the knife idea too. One fun gift to give is a lock pick set and a few random locks to pick. I gave all the guys a set for Christmas a couple of years ago. The rest of the event, they were all seeing who can pick the locks. Today, I keep mine in my pack, just in case. I think I bought Sparrow brand, but there are probably others out there. BEGINNER SETS Discover lock pick sets for beginners at Sparrows Lock Picks. Find the perfect starter sets and professional tools to start your lockpicking journey. www.sparrowslockpicks.com
There are states where having a lock pick set will land you in jail.
Interesting. Fact checking you below... Thank God for Georgia I guess. (Shaking head) In the United States, the legality of owning lock pick sets varies by state, with some states having specific laws that restrict their possession or use. Here are the states where owning lock pick sets may be illegal or where there are specific restrictions: Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, and Virginia: These states have regulations regarding the ownership of lock pick sets and bump keys, indicating some level of restriction or illegality. Mississippi, Nevada, Ohio, and Virginia: In these states, individuals may need to counter prima facie evidence regarding the intent behind possessing lock-picking tools. This means that they would have to prove that they do not possess these tools for criminal purposes. Tennessee, Illinois, Nevada, Ohio, and Virginia: These states have specific laws that directly restrict lock-picking tools or their use in some capacity. The use of lock picks is only problematic if it is done illegally. It's important to note that in many states, the legality of owning lock pick tools is primarily an issue if they are used with criminal intent. Individuals in states with specific laws or restrictions should be aware of the local regulations and the potential need to demonstrate that their possession of lock picks is not for illegal purposes.
Bonuses that aren't the same for everyone is such BS. I worked at a shop that gave everybody an envelope and said to keep it private and don't tell anyone. In it was a letter stating the bonus was based on individual performance and time with the company. Less than a year it was a limited amount and anyone with less than 3 month's didn't get anything. What a crock, do you not value these employee's. The whole thing, if you look at the big picture, is just going to cause a lot of resentment. A guy I knew said nobody should complain because the company didn't have to give anybody anything. No they don't but it sure makes them look cheap. Even giving everyone $50 would be better than having a wide range of bonuses where some will feel they aren't appreciated.
Ok, I think I was pretty clear I wasn't looking for any opinions on anything besides gifts. As far as bonuses go, any employee is going to think they deserve a month's paycheck. In reality, some absolutely do, and some deserve the door. No more talk on bonuses.
Milwauke battery tools are always nice.
Here's a problem with that, one of my guys sold his soul to the Snap-on truck, so no Milwaukee for him. Neither drink coffee, and the Snap-on guy donated his tool cups to the shop, so Yeti cups aren't really a good idea either.
All this talk about tools and flashlights has me thinking. How about a credit on the Snap-on truck? It's kind of like a gift card, which I said I didn't want to do, but spending money on that damn truck always gives a guy a sour taste as well...
Well, as far as bonuses go, MY OPINION IS
I'm in the same boat Shimmy. Aside from that which we are not going to talk about, we typically take everyone including all the families out to a nice dinner. Last year we managed to get 20 seats in a group at the new arena in the area for a hockey match, which is new to our area. Last January we looked into getting a catered box for the hockey match but it has become very popular and we could not get even three seats together for this December. We may not do anything as a group this year, but I would like to get all the guys something........just have to figure it out. Too late for anything customized now.
I was at a trailer shop seeing how the new welder worked. I don't know how much you want to spend but a bunch of the employee's, maybe all of them, got a really nice personalized Helly Hansen insulated parka with their name and the company name on it. They also had the orange high vis. stripes on them. Really nice.
I just started at a new company, I wonder if they will give me a bonus
My guys would hate me if I did that - what's a parka?
I just looked at their website. Did you know that you can spend $2000 on their top of the line arctic parka, for just one? They sure have well made stuff though. I would consider that, but one of our best operators is rather rotund, and finding high-vis stuff to fit him is a chore. Anymore I just tell each of them to use their company card and go get what they want.
Company christmas dinners/parties. in 20 years never went to one. Working at the Ag company I built a trailer type Rib oven, I would cook 8 16lb prime ribs lifted and tied over charcoal, 135* in center 150* on ends. I would slice and serve 105 including the wives. Only company dinners I ever went to, I never fraternized with the bosses, managers or other employees for all my years of employment, bad idea. * Dinners were held at a local church community room. The rest of antre was provided by a high dollar local restaurant.
Sorry, I thought it was more general, about christmas as the employer. IF I was giving and getting something for the guys, I would both like to buy, and/or receive a bass pro or cabela's gift card. The snap on or really any tools, would seem like I was giving them tools to work on my stuff. I would prefer the cabela's outdoors stuff because its really for them, not coats or hoodies with my company name blazed all over it- that just seems like making them advertise my company. Or workwear that I would expect them to wear when working for me. They could then buy flannel shirt/ guns/ ammo/ fishing pole or socks. It wouldn't be about me.
I work outside, a parka sounds like a terrible thing to wear in the cold
Maybe you wouldn't be such a grouchy, sour old b@stard if you would have tried to have a little fun once in a while. We don't have 50 employees. There are 4 guys getting a paycheck between the three of us. If we were unsociable slave drivers we would have nobody. Beer in the fridge and sitting around trying to solve world problems once or twice a month is a good thing. At least for us.
In Truck Shops defence it all depends on the people you work with. Smaller companies are generally better for gatherings. A company with 6 or more employee's only needs 1 idiot to make you want to avoid being around them. Most shops have that 1 annoying lazy brown noser that no one can stand.
I don't know if most employee's would have an issue with getting a $500+ personalized parka with the company name on it. Obviously the boss appreciates them. Parka's are very nice to have when it's -40+ with a windchill.
If the boss man I worked for gave me a gift card for 250 to 500 bucks off the tool truck and I was an avid tool truck fan that would be an awesome Christmas gift from work We did jakets last year they were a hit everyone wears there's to work this year we are doing yeti cups and water jugs being in a desert those are a big hit 9 months a year People are kinda funny about gifts from work I find as the boss what I think is a silly gift or trivial the guys kinda like but then there is always 2 or 3 that don't use what was given I think it boils down to this if the employee feels valued at said outfit a small gift will be well recieved but if they don't like what you got them like cups knives tools or a jacket and I mean good stuff as the owner that I want to use not junk then the less than thankful employee is probably not going to be thankful for anything short of a highly extravagant super expensive gift and then there are no guarantees Employees are owed nothing from the company at the end of the day so your certainly not obligated to get them squat except a handshake and a thank you how they recieve that says more about them then you
The best gift i get is it being over with.
Interesting---was that your opinion when you would call me on the phone during my work hours for information to help you on a series 60 or A/C. * Locally I'm know as a nice guy
I think he meant that as a compliment
Hey Shimmy, 5-6 years ago we did really nice Carhartt winter coats, the ones with hoods. We ordered them through John Deere at the time, so they came with a small embroidered JD logo on the left chest. Everyone liked them, I still see guys wearing them around town. Have a good christmass up there.
I have only received gifts as an employee. The ones that stuck out as memorable, useful, or positive in my life: -¼" and ⅜" compact ratchet kits -Personalized Leatherman -High end flashlight (NEBO) -Columbia winter jacket w/liner (had company name embroidered on sleeve) -Christmas bonus equivalent to a months salary. I didn't care the the jacket had company name. They were classy and made a small logo on the sleeve. What I did recognize, It was a $250 jacket that is very well made. It still gets worn regularly every winter. I still regularly use the quality tools as well. Gifts I thought were a joke: -Christmas parties in lieu of any gift -Free holiday ham or turkey -Chintzy, cheap, generic tools that you knew right away were going to fail (and did)
Something like this? Search results for: 'davinci 5000l flashlight' nebo.acgbrands.com
I have a Nebo rechargeable that can be recharged in the pickup. I'm not sure it is that exact model, but it looks like it and works very well!
Thru-Night TN12 rechargeable flashlight is awesome. It charges by USB so I think can be charged in a vehicle.
My NEBO is probably 8 years old, but still rock solid and dependable. Little smaller than that one, but still an awesome flashlight. I wouldn't have willingly bought myself a NEBO back then, but I certainly appreciate the craftsmanship and durability it has provided.
Nothing says merry Christmas like cash stuffed in an envelope. One size fits all, works everywhere on planet earth.
Just ordered the cap lights for my guys. The one where you can wave you hand to turn the light on.
Here's a ThruNite TN12 pro. It's 1" dia. so can be mounted on a rifle. TN12 Pro THRUNITE’s high quality LED flashlights are not just bright - they’re tough as nails and designed to be practical for a wide variety of users. Learn more about their variety of product lines and find the perfect gear for your needs right here at the THRUNITE Store. thrunite.com
Speaking from experience, any rechargeable flashlight of any quality (power/battery life) you want to make sure it has a USB-C plug on it. If it has USB A or just regular USB you are going to be letting it sit on charge and not be ready the next day for work.
Well this thread got me thinking about taking everyone to the hockey match so we decided to check one more time on seat availability. Low and behold we found a section with 16 seats available all in a block! Problem solved on this end. Might get each of them a nice Gerber or Sog or Kershaw, something decent, folding knife as well.
And if you are going to put cash in an envelope, make sure there are at least two bills. Don't give $100, give two $50's. More than half will only show one $50 to other half. And cash needs to be after Christmas party. The wives will compare, especially when one says Fred got $200, and another speaks up Bob only got $100, and a third says Larry got $500, and all envelops left the office the same.
The ThruNight TN12 is USB-C charging.
It was a widespread bulletin for everyone and anyone in the future looking through this thread that may help them.
TBH, when I was working for someone else, I only ever wanted a check. Maybe I'm simple, but that's how I viewed the relationship; I work and they pay me. I never wanted their love or devotion, I was there to get paid. My $.02