Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Circle drive

jett01 · 2018-01-22 18:24

hello . I was operating my caterpillar 140G and the circle stopped turning for me . I have ordered a pinion however I may need some advice before I put the new one on . I was reading a earlier post on this forum regarding the circle drive and the shaft / shims etc all play a part . If I put a new pinion on i am nervous I may break the shaft . I will try post a picture of the pinion . Any advice for this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jett from Manitoba Canada

Replies6
  1. #1Jonas3022018-01-22 19:20

    Did the pinion stop turning they have a sacrificial aluminum drive gear in the box

  2. #2John C.2018-01-22 22:22

    Does the drive have a slip clutch? That pinion gear doesn't look that bad.

  3. #3Nige2018-01-23 09:17

    Judging from that photo it doesn't look like the problem is the pinion. It would probably pay you to go into the circle drive box and take a look, most likely you will find something broken in there. I don't know if it's just a trick of the photo but the pinion looks a bit too low to mesh properly with the circle. Broken pinion shaft maybe..?

  4. #4jett012018-01-24 01:00

    Hello and thanks for the replies. I did go into the box this morning and found a nice chunk of aluminum gear broke off and wedged into the worm shaft . The shaft looks good yet and so far I have not disassembled the drive until tomorrow morning. I will get a picture for you . I noticed the aluminum gear has other stress cracks as well and now know why they used aluminum- I’m thinking to take impact . The updated version with a slip clutch sounds like a great option . I thank you for your replies, Jett

  5. #5Nige2018-01-24 07:28

    A machine Serial Number would be a very good idea so that those with access to on-line parts manuals can see what you have right now. Do you have a Parts Manual..? If not they are available in downloadable Adobe pdf format from this link https://www.cat.com/en_US/support/maintenance/service-manuals.html A CD or Adobe would be $89, a paper book $104. There are various options, it depends on your Serial Number.

  6. #6jett012018-01-24 15:50

    Hello . I have pulled the circle drive out and now reading the service manual . Thanks for the reply Nige