I am relativity new to grading gravel/sand roads but have some experience with construction grading. I am maintaining about 80km of gravel actually mostly sand road (mainline logging road) just got a volvo g990 and started with plowing snow. The roads already had some compacted snow very hard to cut through but was able to do it with serrated edges blades. I am using a serrated hardened blade from Great west equipment but they wear very quickly. I am averaging a set of blades about every 8 hrs makes for expensive grading. Will I get that much more life from Carbide impregnated blades or should I go to a replaceable carbide tip style. Is the heavy wear just due to the sand frozen in the Ice, will this get better in the spring? I would greatly appreciate any tips or tricks or suggestions. The blade part number I am currently using is " BUCC 4T2236S EDGE - CUTTING ICE 1" X 8" X 8' 3/4 "
Look into this cutting edge system. http://www.sharqedges.com/about-sharq
Speed will wear out a set of blades pretty fast. I could do paved subdivisions and secondary roads for half the winter on a set, but step out on a main road and you can almost watch it wear away. I have run a carbide tipped edge on asphalt, and it wears well, but I always found off pave would break the carbide strips and ruin the blades. I have never seen the Shark attack blades but the government plows here were using those black cat systems. Basically a mounting system with hammered in tips like the ones on milling machines and pulverizers. 80kms that's a long stretch for one grader. Must take a week to grade it.