Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Circulating heater on D4G

D3DaveC ยท 2011-10-18 10:47

I would like to install a circulating heater to warm the engine for winter starting since the temp can dip way below freezing where I live. I can tap into a water line on the front of the engine where the heater hose connects but can't find another port elsewhere on the engine. Anyone done this installation before?

Replies9
  1. #1jrtraderny2011-10-18 16:26

    Use the one that goes in a freeze plug or pipe plug hole. jr

  2. #251kw2011-10-18 19:15

    Use the block drain port. If you put a T in you can still use a pipe plug for draining the block also.

  3. #3D3DaveC2011-10-18 21:14

    The block drain port sounds good. Which side is it on?

  4. #451kw2011-10-19 21:36

    On a 318 it is on the same side as the injection pump. It is a pipe plug screwed into the block about 1/2 way back.

  5. #5D3DaveC2011-10-21 09:08

    What I found was a bolt head looking like maybe 7/8 or so just under the back end injection pump. Last night I installed a couple new windows now just the heater and I'm set. Thanks

  6. #6D3DaveC2011-10-24 21:50

    The pipe plug is towards the rear of the block before the bell housing, takes a 1/2 inch wrench. All is good and ready for winter.

  7. #7D3DaveC2012-09-13 21:09

    The question above was for a 2006 D4G and now I have a 2002 D4G and it's a little different. Looking at the same place I only see a frost plug. Does anyone know where the block drain is on a 2002 D4G so I can install a circulating heater? Thanks

  8. #8pioneer2012-09-13 21:47

    Run concrete mixer without loading and check the rotating direction of the mixing drum and blades.

  9. #9rabia2012-09-14 04:44

    Your idea good no doubt. But unfortunately i also know only front of engine where you can install heater. Well its also a good place i think