Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Civil engineering tech?

curly ยท 2009-02-20 14:58

My local 2 year school has a program they call civil engineering tech, seems like mostly surveying, soil sample and some CAD work and I was wondering if anyone out there has heard of this type of program or job position and what they think about it. When done you get a fancy AAS degree and it seemed like it was a lot more field type work rather than in the office doing the actual engineering.

Replies27
  1. #1dirt digger2009-02-20 15:54

    from my understanding a CE tech can go either way...either into being a CAD draftsman or more of a field oriented supervisor i know with only a 2 year degree you do not have the ability to get your professional license or really do any actual design work

  2. #2curly2009-02-20 16:48

    Is it something you see many off in either field or is it not worth much?

  3. #3dirt digger2009-02-20 16:52

    i dont know as i am not in the field yet...i will graduate in May with a 4 year CE degree...i'm sure they exist but as for schools here in PA i have only really heard of one or two that offer this particular degree

  4. #4rshackleford2009-02-20 18:47

    a cet cannot be come a professional engineer. cet's study construction related items and ce's study theory and design.

  5. #5curly2009-02-20 20:07

    I'm not thinking this would be a full on CE program, it's only 2 years so that's why I was seeing if anyone knows anything about that position. To be honest I'd rather be out in the field anyways and if some part of the design fails it would be nice to not be the guy responsible for doing a bad design. So are CE techs kind of like redheaded step children of the engineering world?

  6. #6buddy6052009-02-20 20:53

    I guess I am the red headed step child I did the CET course. I previosly worked aroud construction so when I finished my cet I went from surveyor to foreman to superintendant. Then I got sick of living out of a suitcase chasing jobs so changed positions and now run a soils lab and do, soils, asphalt and concrete testing. I enjoy it very much. I do feel like I am looked down on by the peng's but I don't care that much.

  7. #7curly2009-02-20 22:11

    What did you think about the job and what sort of duties did you do? I'm just looking to see what the day to day job is like.

  8. #8buddy6052009-02-21 08:17

    It depends on the direction you take your career. When I was with contractor I would be to work for 6 because the operators started at 7 but get things ready, think about what could go wrong with the days plans, showing guys how you wanted stuff done and it usually means doing it yourself, dealing with landowners, suppliers, the owner, approving timesheets etc. When you are surveying/gradesman you are laying out grades all the time alot of walking and placing gradestake over and over again because alot of operators think they are targets. but I did enjoy it. The thing I did not enjoy was chasing jobs all over the country living out of a suitcase,in the middle of nowhere. ointhead Now I get home every night and go from project to project to ensure that the specs for jobs are being followed, test soils with a nuke, test concrete for air and slump and strength. the previous jobs were nessacary for the job I have now. the downside is the arguing with contractors, and the namecalling. and alot of report writing

  9. #9curly2009-02-21 14:18

    Well thank you for that information, it's just what I was looking for. Was all the travel a result of your location in Nova Scotia or just following the work?

  10. #10buddy6052009-02-21 17:50

    following work but this perminant position came up. but I do enjoy it. watching building and stuff grow.

  11. #11curly2009-02-24 23:02

    Are there any other folks out there with some information to share? Is it feasible to become a certified land surveyor through that degree as well with a bit more math? For anyone wondering, the cirriculum at the school I intend to go to is located here . For what it's worth, I took my placement exam this morning and passed English with 99 and algebra with a dismal 30, off to intermediate algebra for me! How important is calculus and trigonometry when pursuing a 2 year civil engineer tech degree? The job market looks so-so right now but when I search civil engineering technician jobs it pulls up jobs with the army corps of engineers but that would seem to be more 4 year engineer territory. In general it appears civil engineer tech is another way of refering to proper engineers. I'm confused.

  12. #12rshackleford2009-02-25 08:29

    engineers need to know calculus techs need to know algebra. a engineer can do a tech's job, but a tech won't ever by an engineer.

  13. #13curly2009-02-25 10:58

    Well that sure was positive and not condescending!

  14. #14buddy6052009-02-25 18:23

    I would agree, if given the option get the degree that leaves more options but, you can always step down but most engineers sit in an office pushing paper and reports techs are the one's out there doing the job. If the opertunity is there go for the degree

  15. #15curly2009-02-25 21:11

    I'd love to go for the 4 year except for 2 reasons. One is that while there are a few great engineering colleges here, SD school of mines for one they are expensive as heck. The other reason is I don't want to spend all that time in school only to find I detest engineering. My thought is that if I do the 2 year, spend time out there and see what's to see and decide I want to go to the next level I'll have some experience in the field and hopefully be in a better financial situation.

  16. #16Raildudes dad2009-02-25 21:28

    My employer will hire high school grads and provide the training to do CE Tech work, but we require a CE degree to be an Asst Project Engineer and expect them to get licensed to be a Project Engineer. As for math, I'm liscensed but the most I do is add, subtract, multiply and divide with a smidgen of algebra once in a while. Calc and diffy q were not my strong points . I told my adviser that D was for diploma in diify q. As for sitting in an office every day, I work for a local highway authority and our engineers design road projects in the winter and supervise the construction in the summer. Best of both worlds - inside during winter, outside during the summer. Always paperwork to do in the AC if it's too hot Do like I told TD-8, find a local Chapter of the American Society of Civil Engineers, go to a couple meetings and talk with a few civils. Ask if you can visit them at work. My boss & I get calls from prospective civils and we've never turned one away from visiting our offices. SD School of MInes:thumbsup Check out the Concrete Canoe team

  17. #17curly2009-02-25 21:51

    Concrete canoe, that's some weird stuff! I'll check into the meetings though, I'm sure there are a few people who could give me advice there. Thanks!

  18. #18buddy6052009-02-26 19:34

    why not try and get a job as a lobourer. the best engineers were once labourers. Not the silver spoon, following in daddies footsteps. They are the reason I am loosing my hair

  19. #19dirt digger2009-02-26 19:54

    i was in a ditch long before i sat in an engineering classroom:drinkup

  20. #20buddy6052009-02-26 20:05

    want me to send you a job opening.

  21. #21dirt digger2009-02-26 20:07

    haha...graduating in May and have had a job already lined up since December...i'll be working with a few guys on here actually

  22. #22curly2009-02-27 11:45

    No thanks, I've had my fun crawling in crushers and wash plant decks as well as some quality time with a shovel.

  23. #23928G Boy2009-03-12 22:32

    started as a labourer on a pipe crew at age 15, age 22 now finishing third year of civil engineering tech. i definitely got some shovel time under my belt before going to school, heck i still get too much (if there is such a thing) shovel time on the weekends (yes i am lucky enough to work a construction job on the weekends only) we have to do calculus in our civil engineering tech course here in Winnipeg. unless you take a 2 year course, in which case you're not a technologist, you're a technician.

  24. #24curly2009-03-12 23:38

    Yup your right, I'm going for the two year so technician it is. Technologist, another fancy way of saying you got a 4 year degree?

  25. #25928G Boy2009-03-19 16:24

    just three for technologist.

  26. #26curly2009-03-25 18:09

    Ah, I stand corrected!

  27. #27dirt digger2009-03-25 19:02

    Engineer is a fancy way of saying you got a 4 year degree:drinkup