Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Claas MB 14.6L injector help.

Tenwheeler ยท 2020-06-26 21:54

Trying to get injectors out of A Claas 880 Jaguar. Ordered the special tool and have been using penetrating oil for a while. It is the factory Mercedes tool but have tried it on three so far with a 3/4 ratchet. Stop a what I feel like is the threshold for the tool around 125 Ft Lb. It is the same as some Mann and Scannia's to my understanding. Anyone have experience with these? Working on a picture. It is a slotted socket that unscrews a lock, kind of like a thick flat washer threaded on the outside, around the top of a Bosch pencil nozzle.

Replies13
  1. #1Volvomad2020-06-27 17:55

    I use a custom made tool( Never seen the proper one) that I whack on fairly hard with a small/medium size hammer several times before i try turning . If the engine is still able to run , use penetrating oil carefully on a warm engine ,as it cools it may draw in the pen oil as it cools . Good luck

  2. #2Tenwheeler2020-06-28 04:50

    Thanks for the reply! I broke my homemade tool I spent 4 hours making. Will work with your suggestions.

  3. #3Tenwheeler2020-06-29 19:30

    10 hours on the first four covered with silage. It is a very good loctite. 45 minutes on the other four.

  4. #4Volvomad2020-07-02 18:56

    Silage,irish weather and old age make for great craic . I pulled the injecters out of a 695 (older machine,same motor) a few months back . Biggest problem was pulling the copper washers underneath

  5. #5Tenwheeler2020-07-02 22:22

    Probably would not have been so bad if the rear panel was not missing. That stuff actually ate the return line fittings off of one injector body. Next time maybe try a proper sized rat tail file. That should catch the copper washer and pull it out easily. Thanks for the replies. Would you happen to know the torque spec for those injector hold downs.

  6. #6Volvomad2020-07-03 08:35

    I did not have a spec . I did torque them ,but cant remember to what . The file is a good idea .

  7. #7Tenwheeler2020-07-03 22:39

    It was not my idea old timer finally had pity for me years ago. He came over and snatched one out in a second. I suppose a rat tail file is a geographic American term. I came from another area and no one else here understood. Use a round b*****d file. The ones I have for JD's and Macks were to small. Tried some different things and ended up with a long 10 MM course thread bolt. Push hard on it and turn it two turns. One was a struggle but the others pulled right out.

  8. #8Volvomad2020-07-04 15:32

    Never herd of a rat tail file but given the application it is self explanitery . The injectors I got reconed were so bad my own atomiser would have done a better job, yet the engine ran sweet ,still does but still starts like it runs on coal . The silage is mostly over here .Very little maize (corn) around here . There will be some second cuts in a few weeks .( If the weather clears up a bit ) . Are you getting the 880 ready for maize ? Happy Independance Day

  9. #9Tenwheeler2020-07-04 19:55

    Yes sir. There was some Millet early and maize is ready. We have a long growing season. Millet, Sudan and Sorghum plus some crosses are common for a second cut. Then like to rotate to soybeans or something the next year, possibly with wheat in between.

  10. #10Volvomad2020-07-04 20:31

    Do you like the 880 . 1/3 claas,2/3 jd around here mostly fairly new . Some say from the 800 series on the running costs add up fairly high over 3 to 4 years . Why did you do the injectors ?

  11. #11Tenwheeler2020-07-04 22:05

    I am just turning wrenches on it. Machine belongs to a big outfit. They have another Claas, 980 I thank, and the newest one is a Deere. I will have to ask about operating cost and let you know. Claas dealer is three hours away and JD is 5 miles. Seems a lot of new equipment in the US is being short term leased. Claas appeared to dominate in this area, Ga, Fla, Carolinas, just started seeing the Deere presence coming in. That is just what I see in choppers. Replaced injectors because that was my instructions. Claas tec may have checked it out last year? Two were stuck open and the other 6 were weak. The 880 has been a good machine or it would not still be here. Just do not put the Deere operator in it and expect him the hit the maize running.

  12. #12Volvomad2020-07-05 14:51

    Claas would have led the market for mostly the last 25 years but i thing Deere past them out a few years ago .

  13. #13Tenwheeler2020-07-07 21:35

    Went Deere partly because of the loss of a Claas dealer. Current dealer is a good bit away. Thank he said the Deere is an 8800. Operators like it better, creature comforts. The 980 will cut more acres of corn in a day. Service on new equipment from Deere has been excellent. To early to know long term maintenance cost.