Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Clamp-on vs. Chained-on Loader Forks

seagull369 ยท 2010-11-28 12:21

Wondering if there was any advantage to the ones that hold the forks on by chains & load binders vs. the ones that simply clamp-on to the lower part of the bucket. I've heard the chained ones are s'posed to at least keep the forks from "V-ing" out compared to clamps. They certainly look like more of a hassle to set up, though. Anyone know the about the quality of the cheapies sold on feebay? Some are dirt cheap ($135 + free ship for 4k lb. capacity), which makes me wonder :beatsme

Replies3
  1. #1Auctioneerhere2010-11-28 21:40

    Not sure about the chain on kind, but I bought a set of Payne Backhoe forks for my backhoe. They did not work well at all, they bent quickly. Needless to say I was less than impressed. I kept the clamp system they have, cut off the fork tube, put thicker tubing w/ twice as much hard rod in the tube. They have not bent yet & I have been working them hard. Your eBay forks are likely to be JUNK. JMO

  2. #2heavylift2010-11-29 00:24

    didn't like the clamp ones 30 years ago.. wouldn't stay tight... couldn't see... heavy.. a real pain the ones that have a round bar with two forks and ears that are welded to the top of the the bucket are some what better...

  3. #3mark emaus2011-02-02 13:27

    I have an old international 175c with a 2 in one bucket. I need to put a rake on it. Does anyone have suggestions as to which rake would be best? I was thinking of putting the rake on the blade side as so I could use the clam shell to help pick up logs???