Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Clamping hyd. hose in place

Welder Dave · 2023-09-19 22:13

I bought some Stauff style hose clamps to hold some long hoses for a grader ripper in place. I used hose with a tighter bend radius and it is loose in the hose clamps. For part of the run it's not a big concern but I want to hold hoses tight on each side of the articulation point so they keeps a constant loop to prevent hose damage. I was thinking of tightened the clamps and using a 3/32" or 1/8" cutting disc in a grinder to cut a slot in the plastic portion of the clamps so they will clamp tighter on the hose. Is this a good idea? Would wrapping something around the hoses where they're clamped be a better idea? Another thought was to put zip ties on the hose beside the clamps so the hose can't slide in the clamps but that would look pretty redneck. There won't be much force or pulling on the hoses. I just can't have them flopping around all over.

Replies12
  1. #192U 34062023-09-20 00:46

    Short piece of heater hose or fuel line wrapped around the hose where it will be clamped might work. Would look better than zip ties anyways.

  2. #2Welder Dave2023-09-20 01:10

    I was thinking maybe a thin hose around the outside too. Something maybe 1/8" thick would work. I've seen the clamps with some kind of special hose around the hyd. hose but I don't remember what it was called.

  3. #3Coaldust2023-09-20 02:34

    Your trimming idea may work fine. I’ve done that before when I didn’t have the correct size plastic insert.

  4. #4Welder Dave2023-09-20 03:03

    I thought the clamps would grip better on the main hose. I'll probably have to cut the bolts shorter. I could use washers but it wouldn't look as good.

  5. #5HarleyHappy2023-09-20 09:35

    Stauff makes all sizes of clamps, you should try and get the right ones. I must have 10 different sizes in a bucket. They make singles, doubles, about anything you could need. The weld on plates work the best for me.

  6. #61693TA2023-09-20 10:00

    I too like Stauff mounts. They stay put and you should be able to get the exact clamps you require from them. Mcmaster has the style also that are very good but an off brand when they show up.

  7. #7Welder Dave2023-09-20 13:54

    I don't think they are actual Stauff clamps and think the hose is a bit on oddball OD. I'll see if another shop has more sizes.

  8. #8Welder Dave2023-09-20 19:34

    Thanks for the suggestions on trying to find the right size. I found a place that had similar Behringer clamps the right size. They were more than double the price though. $50 instead of $20 for 5 of them. Still best and easiest to use the right size. The clamps that fit were .062" OD and the loose ones were .0675" OD. The bolts, hoses clamps and solenoids adds up pretty fast. It sucks having to spend more $$$ but makes me realize I got a good deal I got on the actual ripper. I'd guess the ripper shanks alone would cost over $1000 for the 3 of them.

  9. #9kiilowatt bender2023-09-27 17:33

    As many have suggested , using the right clamp is best, If the right clamp cannot be obtained an alternative method of using spiral wrap made of nylon or PTFE (teflon), or silicone self vulcanizing tape is also a possible option. If using the silicone splicing tape you should stretch it about 50% when wrapping your hose. Don't worry it will self vulcanize. The silicone tape is amazing for emergency water proof repairs on radiator hoses, heater hoses, Water hoses etc.

  10. #10Welder Dave2023-09-27 21:25

    The clamps fit the hose perfect, just some of the clamps don't wrap around the hose as far leaving a gap between each half. You can see it in the pics. I posted above.

  11. #11boaterri2023-09-28 09:10

    You could try Adel clamps if the location is reasonably protected.

  12. #12Welder Dave2023-09-28 10:55

    I considered those type but they wouldn't hold the hose as secure and I'd have to weld bolts or nuts on the frame. The weld plates on the Stauff style clamps make it easier and a neater installation.