Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Shop air compressor advice

Legdoc ยท 2023-09-19 21:56

Good day from South Texas. I have a bit of a dilemma regarding a new 5 or 7.5 Hp 80 gallon vertical air compressor for my new ranch shop. I currently have two I-R T-30 type 7.5 Hp units (yellow) in service. One is at my medical laboratory and the other is in a ranch barn at another location. I have a third older T-30 (gray) that is still at my lab but was taken out of service 15 years ago due to a Reed plate failure and the part was not available. So it was replaced by a new yellow unit. Unfortunately when taken out of service the tank was not drained. I don't know if the Reed plate is available as it 25 years old. Also there is there a issue with tank corrosion. So here we are. It is my understanding the new I-R T-30 type compressors are junk. I can say the build quality of new ones is terrible. So, does anyone have experience with the new T-30's? Curtis, Champion or other industrial grade machines in the last several years? Thank you

Replies16
  1. #11693TA2023-09-19 23:24

    The only reciprocating compressors I have ever purchased new are Quincy units with Baldor motors. Parts are well supported for them. I've had I-R, Curtis, Champion, Saylor-Beal, Kellog-American, and DeVilbiss compressors in service from shops I've purchased but again, Quincy is the only brand I've ever purchased new when replacement was needed. I prefer the QR-325 series w/spin on oil filter.

  2. #2HarleyHappy2023-09-20 09:38

    You can always fix the reed plate with some shim gauges lol.

  3. #3chidog2023-09-22 14:42

    While on the topic. I can not understand any compressor tanks having any sort of rusting issue with in the last 30 years or so, there is simply no excuse. There are plenty of good coatings available to prevent that. Are any of those tanks coated by the manufacture? I'm not a fan of the aluminum compressors either, though I have one.

  4. #4cfherrman2023-09-22 18:18

    Any coating will get in the air system and break things

  5. #5Welder Dave2023-09-22 20:16

    Quincy! No need to look at anything else. Rated for 25,000 hours or something crazy like that. Get an automatic water drain if it doesn't come standard.

  6. #6chidog2023-09-23 17:00

    Many car restoration folks put stuff to seal rust in gas tanks, and that is a way worse environment for a coating. No excuse with the technology now not to have a coating for them.

  7. #7cfherrman2023-09-23 19:06

    Fuel tanks have a filter

  8. #8chidog2023-09-24 17:02

    So does my air compressor, combo filter and water separator. Not having a filter on an air compressor is not a good idea. Besides rust will be constantly flaking off way more than a good urethane coating would.

  9. #9IceHole2023-09-24 17:09

    Buying new, I'd look at a scroll or screw compressor. Much quieter and less power for more flow.

  10. #10cfherrman2023-09-24 18:23

    Yours does, most don't come with a filter. There is also oil in the tank. I'm not saying that tanks shouldn't be coated but I guarantee you on how cheap tanks are made more stuff will come through with a coating then a bare metal tank. I haven't seen too many failed tanks but the ones I have are outside in corrosion. Every fuel tank has a filter.

  11. #11Legdoc2023-09-24 21:41

    I appreciate the advice. I didn't consider a screw compressor as it was my understanding at least in the past they were for continuous use only. In my application I may go for days or weeks at the ranch shop without needing any air. Then on occasions I may need constant air for hours at a time such as air sanding, grinding, painting... That's why I was looking at dumb simple two stage units. No microprocessor crap to be held hostage over.

  12. #12Bumpsteer2023-09-24 22:53

    Screw compressors are made for high demand and are big $. Not what you need. Google "Saylor Beal", made 30 miles from me and bulletproof. Had mine for 40 years.... Ed

  13. #13IceHole2023-09-25 00:19

    Oppair is around $2k for a 5hp screw. Chyna made, but apparently good quality Eastwood QST scroll is about $2200

  14. #14chidog2023-09-25 22:34

    I don't know any that have an outlet filter. Mine is a filter - water/ oil separator I added, didn't come attached to the 80 gallon tank unit. They all have an inlet filter though. With an outlet filter nothing spits out the airline except air.

  15. #15Tyler d4c2023-09-25 23:19

    Well being a Johnstown area native I have to tell you you need a emglo (now there name is jenny) they one we have is 30 years old and never skips a beat they make the same one to this day. The plant they use to be built at is about 4 minutes away. Now after the buy out or whatever happened there made out in somerset somewhere. You'll be happy with one!

  16. #16IceHole2023-09-25 23:22