Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Clark 175B Brake Issues

Prospectorgav ยท 2014-10-26 07:12

Hello forum, I am currently trying to get the seized brakes working on a Clark 175B wheel loader which have not been working for a number of years. Before I take the wheels off and rebuild the seized brake callipers, I am working through the air and hydraulic system which also ha been disconnected at the compressor. We went out this weekend and started on the repair of the seized brakes by removing the wet tank, the emergency tanks, the quick release valves, the foot control valves, the power clusters, the check valve and associated hoses. During the this removal, black oil was found in some of the pipework and fittings. Do any readers know where this oil may have come from?.

Replies11
  1. #1wrangler2014-10-26 10:44

    The compressor is lubed with engine oil.If it is worn it will pump engine oil past the rings into the air stream.May be time for a rebuilt compressor.

  2. #2sheepfoot2014-10-26 11:24

    Before all the new auto drain systems, operators would drain the air tanks every day, operators that saw the oil starting to bleed out would let the wrenches know and they would change out the compressors. Oil working into the system past the tanks would cause down stream issues with all the valves. In cold weather the sludge could be a real pain to deal with. Your compressor may have been replaced several times over the years or is worn out. With out any history the system may not have been cleaned from past failures also and just full of the sludge from years past. Once down stream system is cleaned up if a compressor is not installed, you should bleed your tanks at least two times a day and look for oil while bleeding. If your seeing oil replace the compressor. I have seen air tanks full of sludge over the years from owners and operators not bleeding them.

  3. #3Prospectorgav2014-10-27 06:14

    Thanks for the info wrangler and sheepfoot On the bottom of the wet tank, there is a valve about 3 inches round. One hose from the compressor governor goes to the side of the wet tank and another hose from the compressor governor goes to this round valve. Is this an auto drain valve?. Is the air pressure going also to this device from the compressor governor or is it returning back to the compressor governor through this?. I will follow the steps that where mentioned to work out if the oil is from the compressor. I did have a look at the compressor and thought the two lines from the engine where from the coolant jacket and not the oil system. I am still learning about this.

  4. #4wrangler2014-10-27 10:23

    There will be engine coolant lines to the compressor.I have a Clark 125 AIII with a 6V71.There is a small 1/4 inch line for engine oil lube going in to the compressor.The base acts as a sump to return the oil into the engine.My loader does not have an auto drain valve,but it is older than your B.An air dryer from a heavy truck does remove a little oil,and the purge valve blowing off when the governor unloads will blow some oil mist out.Does the round valve you mention have oil coming out the bottom if it is vented?

  5. #5jey_c2014-10-27 11:10

    Anybody has a detailed schematic of the pneumatic relay for michigan 55B. It is located between pedal and master cylinder. Wanted to know if the emergency port is linked inside the relay to the reservoir, or it is directly linked to the parking brake switch.

  6. #6lantraxco2014-10-27 13:27

    The governor will send air pressure to the auto drain valve when it reaches pressure and kicks the compressor out. I wonder sometimes about engineers choice of materials, the diaphrams in brake valves and brake actuating chambers, at least back when I was turning wrenches, would turn to jelly if they got engine oil on them.

  7. #7Prospectorgav2014-10-27 17:43

    Wrangler, I have a 8V-71 and the compressor is supported on a bracket and not attached to the block. It may have been changed at some time and I cannot see a engine oil lube line on it. Could it have a sealed sump?. . I have attached a photo of the valve on the bottom of the wet tank. It does have two spare ports but were sealed with dirt as the brake system and air compressor has been disconnected for some time. The previous owner assured me the compressor works fine but he removed the belt. He has put fittings in the top of the compressor for an air hose take off. I think he may have disconnected the compressor due to leaks on the brake system. I am still curious what this valve is?.

  8. #8wrangler2014-10-27 22:00

    You may want to download a parts manual. http://www.minnpar.com/manuals.asp.Look under Michigan.

  9. #9Prospectorgav2014-10-28 04:22

    I have the correct parts manual for the loader but they just call it a valve. I will try and google the part number, it may come up with something. I would say its a auto drain valve being located on the bottom of the tank.

  10. #10Prospectorgav2014-10-28 04:43

    VALVE,PNEUMATIC TANK Detail: A VALVE, DESIGNED FOR ATTACHMENT TO PRESSURE TANKS AND/OR MECHANICAL EQUIPMENT FOR THE PURPOSE OF PERMITTING AN INCREASE, DECREASE, AND THE GAGING OF PRESSURE (SIMILAR TO TIRE VALVES) WITHIN A CONFINING CHAMBER CARRYING COMPRESSED AIR, GASES OR OIL. Manufacturer Information: 1519191 12603 CLARK EQUIPMENT CO 2552837 40152 VME AMERICAS INC SUB OF VME GROUP N V 2552837 77237 DANA OFF HIGHWAY PRODUCTS, LLC 2552837 0MKW7 MINNPAR, LLC I found this information on the net. The valve must monitor the tank pressure back to the governor on the compressor and tell the compressor to pump air on the other line from the compressor governor to the side of the tank when the air is low. Unusual for it to be mounted on the bottom of a tank.

  11. #11mourafetis2014-11-25 08:28

    Hello!! We do have this valve new genuine in stock. Old PN is 1519191, replaced by 2552837 + some more adaptors etc. Price for the complete kit is around 60 Euro. Parts are in Greece. If you are interested let me know at [email protected] . Best regards