I have a Bomag K300 Compactor with a Clark 28000 series transmission. Machine was working great however, now it seems to be that the transmission is stuck in forward. Machine has a control lever with F/N/R and when lever is in F OR N position, the transmission is in forward and when the lever is in R position, the machine is in neutral. We just got it back to the shop and we are starting to diagnose the situation. Does not seem to be the linkage. Where can I find the exact model number of the transmission? We've looked and can't find it. Also, any ideas on where to start. I've started to read the manuals. My hope is that there is some "simple" cause to this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Clark transmissions have a modle and serial tag on them. Lower left side or low on the front IIRC. I be looking hard at the control cable adjustment and make sure the cable housing ends had not come loose from its anchor point.
So it appears that the transmission is "stuck" in the forward position internally. So when the lever is in R, the transmission is actually still stuck in forward, but the reverse is counter acting it? Funny thing is that I lent this machine out to a friend. He said it was working fine and then they had problems and it was stuck in reverse... same issues, just reverse. Then a couple of days later it changed to forward. So wondering if there is some adjustment that might need to be made. Im trying to rule out the easy stuff first otherwise as one guy suggested to me, it might be that the forward disc are welded together from excessive heat which means a out of frame rebuild from what I understand. We're gonna pull all the plates today and wash the engine and trans well and prepare for a pull, however I'm still hoping an easy fix presents itself.
Maybe one of the specialists in the new BOMAG Community may help you? http://www.bomag.com/world/community
We ended up pulling the trans on this machine and tore it apart ourselves. It took us some time, but $600 in parts later machine runs like it's designed for. Ended up that the pressure plates in the forward gear set were cracked and wore out the internal gear. We found a good used gear and installed new plates and seals. I'm glad we did it ourselves. We were getting quotes around $5000 to fix the trans.